Friday, June 21, 2013

Art Summit

My walk to the conference began with a lovely encounter with these two gents outside a coffee place. I see; I melt.

A long time ago I was an arts activist whilst working professionally in the arts. A long time ago I had faith in government, the future and that society would come to recognize the social value of the creative industries. A long time ago, I believed my peers could put the collective ahead of their ego.

Now, aged 65, I remain a cynical and bitter optimist and although my optimus gland is atrophying, I went to The Arts Summit today—a pan creative conference to map out the future we want hosted by the organization I co-founded and served as its first executive director. It was an ego swamp; there are so many people there who like display their accomplishments disguised as advice for others. Revolting.

The worst part of today was being part of a "break out group." I left immediately after and I am not going back for day two. There were no order to our discussion in the small session and I blame our leader for that. But he was almost helpless against one raging ego in our group who would not stop talking. Honestly: It was one of my worst conference experiences ever.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. I ache for a long walk.

Why people come to Vancouver.

This woman, Alison Turner, is the Assistant Executive Director and a whole bunch of other things (her official title is ridiculously long) was the highlight of the conference for me.

Lingua pictoria.

Sadira, my lovely brilliant boss at Emily Carr University.

No comments: