Thursday, December 24, 2020

Bûche de Noël


Yesterday was all about baking. I decided to do something slightly over-the-top for Kevin and Shelly because Kev is going to help me convert my van into a camper.

I decided to make them a dessert for their family dinner tonight, and to do something I’d never done before. I felt like a competitor on the Great Gabriola Baking Show because I took on a serious challenge: Making a Bûche de Noël with decorations. It took all day and good part of this morning.

This morning involved making the meringue mushrooms. Once they were cooling, Her Highness and I went for a walk under clear skies but pretty chilly temperatures. As of tomorrow, we expect endless rain. My God, I hope the books I ordered weeks ago from Amazon arrive. I ordered my friend Beth’s book (presumably shipped from Toronto where she lives) and several others back in November!!! And I’m a Prime member which should have me receiving orders in three days.

Yesterday, when I was at the post office, I heard clerks advising people that mail to England is particularly likely to take forever because no planes are going there. She also said the system was overwhelmed with deliveries and incredibly short-staffed due to the pandemic. Shizah!

I took the cake to Kev this morning (Shelly’s at work) and then came home to actually send Christmas e-cards. That’s something I haven’t done in a decade. And now, for the rest of the day, I’m going to finish Shantaram. Whilst waiting for the books I ordered, I started this epically long book just to see if I could stick with it and stay settled. I have. Today I’ll come to the end of all nine hundred and twenty pages. 
















No comments: