Sunday, August 2, 2026

I ❤️ Books!

Saturday began gloriously sunny after Friday night’s heavy rain showers. I had a lovely morning soak, and I cut down the dying Raspberry canes before Sheba and I went for our morning walk. She was reluctant to walk. I reckon something is up with her back legs. They tremble often, and she very clearly only likes to walk where she knows that the walk will be short.

I read in the sun for a while, and I puttered in the garden until 13:30 when the sky became overcast and it felt like it would rain. It got dark, so Her Highness and I went to Rollo Park for our afternoon walk to get another walk in before it rained. And when we got home, I lit a small fire because I love a light fire on a cloudy Summer day. And the cats really loved it.

More reading filled my afternoon. I am constantly amazed by the literary skills of so many Irish writers. I am really loving Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. And the best part, it’s slightly more than five hundred pages long!

As usual, dinner was early. All were fed and then I got my dinner prepared and sat down to watch Bleak House. I’ve been on a rather joyous classical journey when it comes to choosing films to watch. I watched and loved Sense and Sensibility, Jane Eyre and Emma (not the version with the supremely untalented actor Gwyneth Paltro).

People say that they do not want to grow up to be like their parents.

I ridiculed Don when he was gifted a trip to Paris by a business associate. Don was given a pass to a two-day conference on boating—he was a boating-focused journalist—and up to ten days in a really nice Parisienne Hotel. Don flew in, went to the conference, and come home immediately. 

My memory of this incident has stayed with me. It’s stayed alive in my head as proof of Don’s limited in sense of adventure, in love of life, of curiosity, of learning, of interest. And now, look at me. I’m him.

Actually … it’s more accurate to say is me ‘as defined by my psycho-neurological condition.’

Today, My Day, has dawned bright, sunny and quite cool. It was 12° when I rose this morning. We shall spot water and then we’ll be going to Silva Bay for fish tacos from the food truck, and I’ll do some yard work so that the place looks nice and tidy for Beth’s arrival on Thursday.
















No comments: