Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Cataract Day

Tuesday was quite a day. I met Kris at the ferry, and we were first onto the ferry. We went directly to the hospital and walked Sheba around the grounds before going in. Once inside, everything went very smoothly. I have absolutely no memory of the first cataract surgery four years ago. It felt my first experience and I found it somewhat scary., but it was over quickly and when I came out, Kris was there waiting for me.

I could not bear the bright light of the day. Kris hooked her arm in mine, and I walked with my eyes closed to the car. Kris drove us to Budget Glass and things there went far, far better than I expected. They took my template and got to work while Kris and I went for lunch not far away. When we finished lunch, we picked up the glass and came directly home.

I got right to work installing the glass and it worked. It’s not a perfect fit, however, so I will take it back today for some slight grinding to make it fit perfectly. I’m thoroughly chuffed that I was able to fix the glass on my own. It cost 500 bucks, just for the glass. 

Once the fire was roaring, I got onto the chaise and under my nice warm wool blanket because the house was freezing cold. Soon, though, things warmed up and I started feeling myself. By 3:30 I was able to keep the eye open that has the surgery.

Reading was out, so I watched TV and rested, delighting in the warmth of the fire, the site of perfectly clean new glass in the firebox door, with Sheba, Fred and Ethel. Ethel came and slept on my lap, just as I hoped she would. It felt so very good to be home.

There came a point where I had to take the shield off my eye and put drops in my eye. When I looked in the mirror, I looked like the demon vampire guy. I have hardly any iris in my left eye; it’s a black hole. I don’t remember any of this from last time.  I have to wear the shield for a week at nights.

Ant night, I watched All of Us, a remarkable show about disability. The lead has CP. She is absolutely amazing, and so is the voyage into understanding the disabled point of view. There’s everything in the script. It’s part polemic and entirely powerful. I loved it. 

In my first year of professional theatre, I was in a play called Creeps. It was written by a guy with CP, and it, too, was powerful. I was incredibly proud to be part of that production, so the voice of this play is a familiar one. God bless National Theatre.

By the time I was ready for bed, it was raining. I put more wood on the fire to keep the house toasty warm this morning. I went to bed early to ensure that I was well rested for today.

Today will be less challenging, than as yesterday. I’ve to return to the eye clinic and I need to get the glass ground. But then I get to come home, light a huge fire, and just take life easy until next Wednesday when I go back for my last appointment with the eye clinic. After that, two more weeks of slow living and then David and Paula arrive. I can hardly wait.















No comments: