Saturday, January 11, 2014

Doyin Richards: Dad


Doyin Richards is a blogger who calls himself Daddy Doin' Work (DDW) describes a typical husband/wife situation: one is late, the other covers all the domestic duties. In this case, DDW said he would cover braiding his oldest daughter's hair (Daddy Doin' Work's first daughter, or DDW1) while rocking his youngest daughter to sleep (DDW2).

Mr. Richards sent proof to his wife with a photo that he then pasted on this DDW Facebook page and these are some of the comments he received:

  • "He probably rented those kids. They don't even look like him."
  • "I would bet anything that you're a deadbeat."
  • "OK buddy, cute picture. Now why don't you hand the children back to their mom so you can go back to selling drugs or your bootleg rap CDs?"
  • "So do you do this for all of your illegitimate kids?"
From reader's he knew to be black he got these comments:
  • "This would be so much better if those kids were BLACK!"
  • "Look at this Uncle Tom. No chance he would be doing this if his kids were black."
  • "I'm sorry, but I can't support a brotha who didn't marry a black woman."
  • "Your MOM is black and you dishonored her by marrying outside of your race? You probably can't handle a strong black woman."
Through it all, Mr. Richards takes the high road:
I love being a dad and I love sharing my love of fatherhood with others. Shit, being a dad is one of the few things in life I'm actually good at. Of course I'm going to be passionate about this gig. My dream is that ALL people will embrace men who embrace fatherhood instead of wondering if they have ulterior motives. Remember, we're the good guys in this fight.
Read about this in Mr. Richards' own words here.

No comments: