Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Meanwhile, at Shoe Lane

Maxine Peake as Martha Costello
Whereas I have been disappointed in the writing of Downton, I am giddy about Silk. Right after seeing the first episode, I went online to learn more about the series because I loved the writing and I really loved the lead actor, Maxine Peake.

Imagine my surprise when I found a lot of criticism about the show. I was stunned to find myself so out of synch with the critics and the public, but wait…. The critics are all lawyers doing something I hate: criticizing an art form for not being exactly like reality. Excuse me? Do they not realize that if courtroom dramas were like real life we'd be bored to smithereens? Have they not attended a criminal trial?

Artwork is not meant to replicate reality but like everyone who saw The Queen (with incredible writing by Peter Morgan and inspired acting by Helen Mirren), I revel in good writing and acting that attempts to present a dramatic version of reality. Silk is fabulously written by Peter Moffat whose words fit beautifully in the mouth of barrister Martha Costello (who is portrayed by the wonderful Ms Peake) and Billy, Shoe Lane Chambers' senior clerk (played deliciously by Neil Stuke).

Silk is easily my favourite show on TV. If you like Aaron Sorkin's writing (West Wing, The Social Network), you will love Silk. Sadly, the season is short so I have watched it twice. I await season two and I have read that season three is currently being filmed. Hurray.

Is there anything literary Britain cannot be the best at? I think not. I have been gobsmacked by their scriptwriters: The Singing Detective, I Claudius, Upstairs Downstairs, Sherlock and so many things from Merchant Ivory Productions. And now I can add Silk to this list.

No comments: