Monday, July 28, 2014

Small Spaces

Saw this perfect party accessory for those
who can quickly flip their band.
One of the best things about living in a small space is one's ability to make everything "perfect." In a small space, one can afford perfection—especially when one's space is a yard-less interior-walls-only condo.

When I moved into this place, the walls were an electric blue and the floors were a horrid tile or fake wood. (Who likes fake wood floors that make you sound like Barbie or Ken walking around on them?) So I put new slab and then had (real) Maple floors laid down, plus I had custom-built woodwork (Maple or Ash) done, including replacing all the flimsy doors with Maple and glass beauties.

The other big changes were:
- Covering all the extruded metal window frames with wood. That was a stunning move because it really "dressed up" my space and allowed me to install beautiful custom (thermal) blinds.
- Putting woven grass cloth wall paper up (@ $250 per roll, thank you very much) and some large travertine marble tiles on the wall below my windows.
- Installing a beautiful Maple counter top that could function as a bowling alley it is so big. I love it.
Last month, I had the dishwasher removed and all the cabinets changed to Maple and today the closet gets done. This is for me, not for guests. Like my other closet, I have designed it down to every millimetre and I can hardly wait to see it go in. And once it is done, the shoji door people can come in to give me an estimate on new doors for my closet.

Then my office and then I will be finished. And like I said, it will be "perfect." By that I mean, exactly to my needs and desires. Doing this, and writing plays and a screenplay, and now with my 100 Dr. Freud kits to make, I have never felt so creatively fulfilled and happy. 

No comments: