Thursday, December 1, 2016

Skirting Victory

Last night, I went to bed around 10:30. The, as usual, I awoke and did some tossing and turning and then, as happens every morning bright and early at around 4:00 – to - 4:30 am, Leon came meowing onto my bed so I got up. But it was only 2:10 am. It was weird because I felt completely rested.
The pompoms are done and they look “good enough.” Progress is slow on the cheerleader, but at least it exists. Today I am working on her skirt.
I’ve got a system now for the skirt, thank God. I find every article or technique needs a “manufacturing” system; the repetitive aspects of all I do (the part I like best) is most enjoyed when I kind of turn myself into an assembly line.
I have figured out how paste the papers together and to do the folds in a way that yields the results that I want. It was not easy.
I want a two-tone skirt and I want the yellow part to be barely visible when the skirt is at rest but much more visible with movement. I plan to use wire to give the skirt a bit of a lift to reveal the coloration. The challenge is to get the look and the fit – that is very hard with paper; cloth is, of course, much more forgiving and elastic. Although I know what I want, I also know that it may turn out differently than I expect. Photos will come soon.
Moonlight was an incredibly moving glimpse into a very foreign world. It is arresting in every way: The script, the cinematography, the editing and the acting. It was a privilege to see it. I loathe so many movies; you have to celebrate when something of genius like Moonlight comes along.
I’ve been tracking hits on this blog since October 11th when I noticed a really sharp increase in visitors. For years, I’d been getting about twenty-to-forty hits a day. Since October 11th, though, accurately, I have been getting 569 hits a day — that’s the actual average; I have a spreadsheet.
In the last week, I have had 4,600 hits from France, 225 from Canada, 58 from the USA, 24 from Ukraine and 15 from the UK. Other countries have less than 10 hits.
Last night, I went to bed around 10:30. The, as usual, I awoke and did some tossing and turning and then, as happens every morning bright and early at around 4:00 – to - 4:30 am, Leon came meowing onto my bed so I got up. But it was only 2:10 am. It was weird because I felt completely rested.











I had one of these. It was my first.





No comments: