Thursday, April 14, 2022

Protecting Art During Armed Conflict


Above, is an interesting video. It addresses the larger issue of protecting art during armed conflict as well as what Ukraine is doing right now.

I listened to a podcast that was really a remarkable on for me, given my speech. If you want to hear a very interesting take on how a speaking person reacts to someone with speech blocks like mine, listen here.

Wednesday was lovely and soft. No hail, no yard work, no rain, no stressing, and lots of time with Inspector Gamache and Louise.

I passed the first selection test of the local health authority and applied submitted another short text. They asked how I might guide them; I said I saw myself more in a support role to those with the vision and told them what skills I had to offer (communications and fundraising). Now, I wait some more to see what happens.

I can’t do any more writing exercises. I’ve emptied my well of inspiration. I’m going to concentrate on gardening. I’m hoping getting active and out in the fresh air more will be like medicine for me. And there’s so, so much to do, including a lot of transplanting.

Why do monks isolate? Why did the Buddha? Why is seeking wisdom from a man isolated on a mountain top a cartoon clichรฉ? What is it about isolation?

I’m reading a book by Louise Penny, of course, that has Chief Inspector Gamache living in a monastery with 23 monks who have lived in silence until he arrives to find out which one of them killed the 24th. And because I am alone, with my pets, most all the time. 

Everyone is onto their spring projects. Franรงois and Eoin are building a barn and doing a fence project, Jay is getting his place spruced up to (maybe) put on the market, and both Steve and Dan, and Leo and Merrill, are moving into new homes.

Monks and those others spend their time thinking about Nirvana or wisdom. I think of Louise Penny as a saint. Her company of characters draw me into their world, and I absolutely love going there. I await weather that gets me into the hammock to read.

 

I tried to watch Sanditon on PBS. Not working at all, for me. I find abundant entertainment watching movies. No ads and always excellent production values, often a particularly good script and always good acting because I choose to my taste. Louise and movies are my drugs of choice.

This morning it’s very cool (2°), but the sky is clear and so I’m determined to work outside a lot today. And tomorrow is also likely to be nice, so I’ll have two days to devote to cleaning up Pinecone Park. I hope being outside lifts my spirit.
















The great Gian Lorenzo Bernini.

No comments: