Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Steve is in the House

I was, of course, up early. I’ve often told people that I’ve never in my life been awakened by a clock alarm. I have never needed one because I’ve always been an early riser, but now I’m awakened every morning by Fred jumping up onto the bed and howling his good mornings. 

I awoke prepared for a day of anticipation—a low demand day ending with a big bang. I had little on my agenda. I had to water, of course, especially after so hot an afternoon on Monday. And I had to make up Steve’s bed and do a little shopping. I was, of course, looking forward to his visit, but I was also a little worried about seizures. Last summer I had the worse seizure I’ve ever had when he was here.

It’s not about him. Company always causes me to seize. But he’s a very high energy fellow and that’s tough on my broken brain. However, plans were in place to make things easier on me this year. We went to the Surf for dinner last night, and tonight we go to Mahle House, Thursday we go to Burrow Rosa, Friday we get a pizza and Saturday we are going to Eoin and François’ place for dinner. I’m not cooking, and we’re not hosting anyone, so all should go well.

We went for a good morning walk while it was cool. When we got home, Her Highness kept me company while I increased the size of the anti-deer fence surrounding the front yard Apple tree. I’ve been wanting to do it for ages. Now it is done and it looks and works much better. Then it was time to water until it was lunchtime.

Then, back to watering, and then some vacuuming and cleaning of the cattery, making up Steve’s bed, and finally some shopping in the village. On the way home, we went for a short walk at Rollo Park and all I wanted was an ice bath. It was stinkin’ hot and humid. By then I’d done almost 9,700 steps and I was beat and my back was aching, but I was almost done all my chores.

I had to water the front bed, all the vines and raised beds in the edible garden, and all the fruit and decorative trees. And then, I stopped. We left here early so that I could walk Her Highness a little bit in the park area where near the dock where the float plane lands. Again, it was a short one. It was too hot for anything else. Finally, all my chores were done. Steve and I headed home.  

Her Highness was fed and I was sure that she’d be fine with sleeping while Steve and I went to the Surf for dinner. It was a beautiful night to be seaside in a restaurant I love and that I first ate in when I was about eight years old. Going out was a relaxing way to begin our holiday together.

The restaurant was absolutely packed. There was a pianist doing a pay-what-you-can performance that a lot of people wanted to hear. We were able to get a table with an umbrella on the lawn. The server was sorry that we’d not be able to hear the music, but we told her we were fine with that.

It was wonderful being warm and sitting outdoors right beside the sea having a dinner that we didn’t have to prepare, and no dishes. Service was slow because of the enormous amount of people there, but we were fine with that because it was so lovely just being there.

As we were finishing, a woman with a dog came near us asking people who likes dogs, so I raised my hand. She asked us to care for her dog while she went inside to see about getting served. She wound up sitting with us and it was just weird. She kept telling us how nice we were, and she took my contact information, but I have no desire at all to get to know her. I was happy when we departed. She was nice and very friendly, but I was very glad to be on my way home to Sheba.



Below are the rest of the photos that I took on my Monday night walkabout. I posted most of them yesterday. These are the last of them.


This is a patio that was once a fire pit. Oh, the clean up was awfujl, 
but now we eat there surrounded by plants.

One of my favourite Hydrageas. 

This Hydrangea is wonderfully fragrant and fills the yard 
with its sweet, sweet fragrance.

This is THE most gorgeous blue for a flower. I love this Hydrangea.

Campions are weeds here, but I love their colour and encourage
their growth. I have a small patch of them in the fruit tree area.

The brown ground is painfull to see. The chair is where I sometimes sit in
the mornings to catsh warm sunshine and warm up.

The friuit tree area is really looking good. I have a bench there now where
I can sit and water. I love my new little fountain bitd bath too.

The Butterbur is still a majoy attraction.

The entrance to my studio is lush now thanks to all the plantings in the
courtyard and on the trellis.

This magnificent Ocean Spray is wonderfully fragrant and it blocks ,y
view of David and Ursula's yard and I'm happy for that.

The backyard from my deck.

A favourite Fuchsia.

Another Fuchsia is about to burst into bloom.

No comments: