Watch this and weep little people. See how the rich grow food. This is a gorgeous film of, perhaps, one of the world’s greatest kitchen gardens. Oh, the majesty; oh, the work!
•
Doug is now coming today, not today, and staying until Monday. (He’d planned on coming tomorrow.) As a procrastinator, I respond well to deadlines, so yesterday’s primary activity was cleaning and tidying. I polished my wood furniture (which is abundant in my living room and all three bedrooms), I cleaned my fridge and cleaned the guest bathroom and the bedrooms because Dianne and Bev come next weekend.
By lunchtime, I was a sweaty mess, but things were looking mighty good—particularly my fridge. What a glorious difference a thorough cleaning and culling can make! I wanted to have a shower and change my shirt, but I knew I’d be wanting to do it again a half-hour later, so I laboured on. There’s nothing more motivational that fear of judgement and a deadline.
I was gifted a bunch of organically grown carrots. They’d been in my fridge for two weeks, and so I peeled them all, cut them into slices and put them in the freezer. That felt good. I can take a break from eating them to ensure that they did not go to waste.
Next up was sweeping the deck and the part of the courtyard where we will be walking to reduce the tracking of shite into the house. And while I was out there, my left foot started throbbing. It’s the foot with calcific tendonitis for which I am awaiting minor surgery. Shizah, it hurt!
Finally, noon arrived. It takes forever when you are up at 4:00. Well, eight hours then. The sky was getting brighter and that thrilled me because I knew I’d be able to enjoy a soak once my status as domestic goddess had been re-established. I had recycling to organize, some composting to do and I wanted to end my workday with another vacuuming after all the work I’d done. I tracked in a bazillion needles during my morning.
My fridge is often neglected in my cleaning routine, so I am glad that’s done for a while. My last chores were to clean the cattery and litter box, and then to make the guest beds up. By 13:00, my battery was stone-cold dead. I desperately wanted to shower and then go for a soak to feel clean and refreshed, but guilt prevented that from happening. I felt it fairer, nicer, to first take Her Highness for a mid-day walk so that I could become self-indulgent.
It felt good to come home to a very clean and tidy house. It’s not like I’m a slob, but life means things accumulate on counters that should be in cupboards, and I live under massive trees, so at different times of the year, pollen, needles and pitch are everywhere and it all tracks into the house.
Once I was changed after my spa, I sat at my desk to do some SPACE work. Two Stellar Jays were feeding at my feeder and then wham! A Cooper’s Hawk swooped in to try and get a Jay. I ran outside and saw the hawk zooming after the Jay, but the Jay seemed to be cleverly evasive. I came inside not knowing the outcome. Those hawks are gorgeous and powerful raptors. They fly like a jet, but I hate seeing Mother Nature in action.
The Great Lillian Hall, starring Jessica Lange, is WONDERFUL theatre people. Ms. Lange is perfect, everyone is perfect. Kathy Bates has a very delicious role and is great at it. But it’s about Lang’s character having to face the end of her career on Broadway. It’s set in a theatre as she rehearses TheCherry Orchard, and in her home, where Pierce Brosnan is her neighbour.
Loved it!
•
I have a humdinger of an agenda for Dr. S. on Tuesday. I’m humbled to be so well cared for by our medical system. Dr. S. is in my life until …. Not only that, I get expensive HIV medication for free, and I am on four asthma medications, one of which is extremely expensive. I feel like a poster boy for the miracles of science.
•
Last night, I crashed. I was sitting at my desk and suddenly I felt nauseous and disoriented. I was worried that I would not be able to walk to my bed. But I did, like a very, very old and damaged man, and I fell directly into a deep sleep. I feel fine this morning and that’s good because Doug arrives late in the morning.
| Oh, the sweet, sweet fragrance of Sweet Peas! |
No comments:
Post a Comment