Friday, August 30, 2013

Exercise Classes

Today I decided to try going to the Older Adult exercise classes at a local recreation centre. It's been, perhaps, a decade since I went to one.

When I arrived, there were four women in the room in their seventies. Once was very welcoming and, of course, that put me off. I assumed my usual position: behind a pillar and with my back to the room, looking out the window. The perky ticket taker identified me as a newbie; she asked me some health questions for the instructor. I told her I might not stay because I wasn't committed so I was telling the truth. I was going to leave if it were all women and there were too many perky people. I din't tell her why.

Victoria was the leader and she was instantly likeable. I liked her right away. There was one woman in trendy spandex who gave me the willies—people who seem too much into anything give me the heebie jeebies. In the end, we were about 25 people and there were a few men.

It was an hour and a half and there are Older Adult classes every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I did things earnestly; I think I was the youngest and fittest in the room. At the break, Ms Trendy Pants introduced herself and commented on my technique. I smiled and looked at the slightly overweight bedraggled blonde who looked like someone I would want to meet.

Victoria corrected me perhaps three times. Once, she complimented me. I bought a six-month pass and marked the times in my calendar hoping I will keep going.

Last night there was a very unusual and powerful thunder and lighting storm with rivers of rain pouring out of the sky. Today broke dark and damp but it was warm and not raining. Walking the twenty minutes to the community centre was lovely. The air was so clean. But walking home in semi-sun feeling the pride of having done a class and with the whole day ahead of me was, as the ads say, priceless.

Then I went for more fish to the aquarium and to Costco and home. A good day and tomorrow... sunshine again.

No comments: