Sunday, August 25, 2013

 Steve (left, my ex) and three friends (including his current, Tim, right) at the Diné en Blanc in LA where they live.

 I am getting good at tartes aux pommes. I didn't glaze this one because I  burned the glaze but it tasted  very good. I've gotta adapt this recipe and see if I can make a tares aux pêches.

Suddenly its over, summer.... And melancholy sets in. My Spring and Summer were spectacular, largely because of the weather, and then in late July guests and asthma/bronchitis set in and my walking was highjacked by responsibilities. Now I am through it all. The guests are gone, the coughing is almost over and my summer teaching term is over. Now I am in a post apocalyptic stupor.

So what's ahead:
  • Six weeks of R&R before the Fall term starts.
  • Either a rejection or acceptance of my play for Pacific Theatre's 2014/15 season. Re-writing if it is accepted.
  • Implementation of the Getting to Know You fundraising campaign at PAL Vancouver (I am the campaign leader).
  • Mexico withe dear friends for ten days in December
  • France and Italy with BFFs Beth and Bruce in Spring 2014
Now I understand why the wise elders of literature and philosophy often advocate living in the present. Now that I am old, the connotations of "past" and "future" have changed so much that living in the present is just so much easier. And with the seasonal impact and melancholy of the end of summer so affecting me, today's walk around the seawall will be thoughtful. I am very conscious of time passing.

No comments: