Monday, August 12, 2013

Kids

His name is Beau and he is three. His sister, Ava, is eight and she arrived wearing the most beautiful dress I have ever seen on a little girl. It was a pale yellow silk dress with baby blue embroidery. It was stunning like Beau's infectious smile.

I don't know what drew him to me but we were like two pools of mercury finding each other. We were at our friend, Dianne's for dinner, to celebrate Dianne's daughter who has her 28th birthday coming up and who was to sit for an interview for a curatorial residency in Berlin the next morning. And after a cloudy dark morning, the afternoon broke sunny and hot.

Beau and I became instant friends. He was on my lap for the rest of the night and I couldn't have been happier. Absolute delight in children is another aspect of life as an Elder that has caught me by surprise. I never disliked children, but now they are impossible to pass without touching like animals. A

That was in the evening. The day was spent in idleness with the New Yorker and doing errands leisurely. Also I made an old favourite salad to take: farrow, japanese cucumbers, heritage tomatoes, parsley, roasted pine nuts, olive oil, jalapeƱo, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

The photos below are from friend, Dana.







No comments: