Thursday, November 28, 2013

Catastrophy

Photos from  http://deshommesetdeschatons.tumblr.com

Got up, turned on my computer, everything normal and then CRASH. No more hard drive. In the past, this would have fried me. I would have had, for certain, a migraine. But not today. With automatic backing up and a spare computer (my laptop) I have been, for the most part, up and running.

I unplugged my machine and took the bus to the Apple store. To the genius bar where the stupefying young man had an apprentice learning from him and who said, "I am learning to be a genius." Humble.

The Apple diagnostic procedure and customer service is as other-worldly as the young man who helped me. I came home in minutes and my computer will have a new hard drive by the end of the weekend. Awesome. But thank God for this laptop. I got all my end-of-term marking done today.
Because Opus has ended my contract, I can de-list from the GST/HST registry starting in 2014 so I asked Opus if I could submit my last three columns in 2103 and invoice for them in order to keep my income low in 2014. Scott said "yes." So I am done. After over 28 years, I have written my last Opus column. Talk about end of an era.Talk about a luctravie contract!
Saturday morning I teach then I come home and get ready for a party here. My first at this address and I have invited 40+ people to my one bedroom space. But I think it is going to work. Thank God for Saint Caterer.

No comments: