Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Experiential Learning

Scene view of Mockingbird script.
Click to enlarge.

There's nothing like it. (Read the post title.) I've been doing it all my life. I built a theatre armed with only confidence and an honours English degree. I founded a photography gallery that continues to do well (critically) armed with nothing but a short lifetime (at the time) of looking at images. The first book I wrote became an official best seller and my first play got me a commission to write a second that is soon to be produced. All good eh?

I love learning by doing new things. Everything above, I undertook with naive confidence as I have undertaken the script of Mockingbird. Today I had a very encouraging conversation with the former head of Praxis, the producers of the scriptwriting competition to whom Warren and I are submitting our script.

My fabulous schedule: Wake up at 5:00; at work by 5:30.  Focused work until anywhere between noon and 2:00. Lunch and a break or a walk. Warren arrives at 3:00 and stays until 6:00. Dinner. The two more hours of work. Saturday and Sunday, I am going to rehearsal with Warren so that when he is not needed, we can work.

Best thing about today: Movie scripts are 110 pages long or less. It seems to be a rule of thumb. I am on page 52. I think our script will likely be 85 - 90 pages and that seems good to me because we have a narrator that has a heavy load of dialogue and the voice of a narrator creates far less length than dialogue…. short, for us, is okay.

No comments: