Friday, October 17, 2014

Good News; Good Movie

The Good News
From my perspective, anyway: My voice issues are over. At least that is how I feel. Certainly the pills have made a huge difference, but it is the physical exercises that really do the trick, I now I have an arsenal of them with which to "fix" my voice whenever it goes away:

  • Humming is like taking an aspirin for my voice. Another way to think of humming, is like "re-booting."
  • An alternate to humming, is to vocalize "zzzzzzzzzzz." That works, too.
  • So does plugging my ears.
  • So does saying one word at a time for a while and then slowly picking up speed.
  • Doing these exercises ten times a day:
    • Pulling my larynx to the left for 60 seconds and holding it there.
    • Then pulling my larynx to the right for 60 seconds and holding it.
    • Then holding my larynx down for 60 seconds while humming.
    • Then sitting straight in a chair and folding myself over so that my chest is on my lap whilst letting my arms and hands hang down by my side for 60 seconds.
    • Doing "back breathing" whenever my voice is iffy.
When I do my show at Presentation House, I will not talk during the day, do my exercises extra times and I will likely have no problem at all. And during each scene I am not in, I will do exercises backstage. 

I will have a "vulnerable" voice forever, but now I know how to fix it. I am amazed, super happy and profoundly grateful to Drs. Morrison and Ramage.

The Good Movie
I went to see The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared. It is a total treat.

No comments: