Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Fence Project Starts to Show

I’m underway — it’s humble but it’s a beginning. I’m winging it like I do with everything, figuring things out as I go, but I’m happy with what’s emerging. I mean… it’s a fence.
I’m working right by the bird feeders and the birds take no notice of me. They may recognize the feeder filler’s bald head. I can see my work from my office window, which is kind of nice. 
Paula arrives tomorrow morning to stay for two days. I’m thrilled; I’m Frick to her Frack. She loves to do things so I’m going to ask her to help me get my studio furniture out of the house and into the shed, plus take up the rubber floor in the studio and put it in the garage where I park the car.
I’m going to take her to Surf Lodge for dinner after (or the next night) and we’ll hot tub every day.
Today began with a thorough cleaning of the house because of Paula ‘s impending arrival. Darrell discovered some cupboards above the water room in my studio that are large enough for my papers so now paper storage has no footprint in my studio space and my paper will not be exposed to light.  
He’s going to build me a counter to work on where I can stand. It’ll look out the new window into Pinecone Park. And shelves will line the walls on either side of the window, so the storage area of my studio is defined and I have a prep or support surface now too.
The stove is in and it’s cute as stink. It’ll be attached to the chimney next week after the hearth is built. We’ve settled on the flooring and I’m thrilled with the decision. It’s practical with a touch of luxury: I’ve decided on tile. (I hate laminate, real wood is too thick (with a sub floor) and I don’t want linoleum). So I gave Darrell some nice tile choices and we’re going to lay heating pads underneath it — Yes! A heated floor in my studio!
The day I moved here, Todd was here to perform miracles for three days. Soon after he left I had a series of “let’s go see where he lives” guests and right after that I hired Darrell who started coming every day, Monday to Friday. I’ve rarely been alone for any length of time.
It’s going to be different when Darrell finishes working here. It’s still a long way off; he has the sunroom to do after the studio is finished., but he’ll have been here about four months by the time he’s done. Once he’s gone I’m likely to pass weeks without speaking to anyone — well except for thank you when I check out food at the market.
I have friends who visit, however, and in the summer I think this will be a delightful place for them to come. And I will have my studio — both a wonderful place to work and a nice private place for guests to stay. Plus, every two weeks I’m in Vancouver and a pattern is emerging of meeting friends in the morning before I see Dr. Shoja — and Steve and Dwight Skype me each week.
One thing: When the sunroom is done, I’ll be able to step outside and into the hot tub very quickly and that’s rather nice in winter. I’m a pussy. Also, I’m thinking heated tiles for the sunroom now.

No comments: