Thursday, September 28, 2023

Startling Progress

Holy shit. That’s what I said when I did a quick word check of Monologue 2. It’s at 1,200 words in rhyme. Like I said: I love writing verse, so I’ve been at it. Monologue 1 is only 1,800 words. So, I’m going to carry on and do the whole story in rhyme, and then I’ll cut it down to 1,800 words. But I’m going to have it done far, far sooner than I first thought.

What scares me, about moving so fast, is that it has me soon to decide if I want to try to memorize it. If it’s good, I will. I reckon I’ll ask some friends over and read them part two to see what they think. They all have just seen part one and loved it, so it’s easy to ask, is it as good, better or worse? Plus, I can ask what works best and what is weak. Moving this quickly means applying to the Fringe for next year a possibility. If you’re in the Fringe, you can make good money, and I think my story will attract the media and I could get some good coverage—free marketing. 

I’m not surprised by how quickly this has gone. It’s my own history and a story everyone knows about me, but not in rhyme. And, as I wrote before, there’s the strong thread of language in the two stories. I wrote about the plot of Monologue 2 in my play that became a screenplay (that never got produced). I know the salient points. 

And when there’s something in my head, like another monologue, it’s going to be a big part of my diary for the next year or more.

I’m off to Nanaimo with Her Highness today and there are complications due to one ferry not working due to a shortage of staff.














No comments: