Friday, September 18, 2015

Beads


This is post 970. How exciting! Soon I will hit 1,000 posts on this blog to which I have stuck longer than any former blog.

And speaking of sticking to things, I am getting closer to deciding what to do with beads. I am excited and I am pleased to find myself moving slowly toward the goal. I have been a very impulsive person all my life, but as I say to friends: “Eventually maturity happens to everyone—even me.”

“Why beads?” everyone asks. Two reasons: One is because I want to do something with my hands. I loved making my paper costumes. I loved that for months, there was something to default into doing to fill time. The other reason is that doing detail work thrills me.

At first I wanted to bead an “electric chair.” I did considerable research into how I could mold or build a clear plastic chair into which I could put LED lights that I could then cover with beads. I also thought a lot about what patterns or symbols I would create with the beads and I developed some interesting ideas, all of which I bounced of my “brother,” Dwight.

But on a walk recently, I passed a store selling opaque plastic lamps (see above) that struck me as a perfect medium on which to experiment. And I am going to pick up a nice simple dress in a second hand shop to bead. I am set for all of Winter and Spring with this plan.

No comments: