Thursday, February 25, 2016

All My Flours


Today I went to the dollar store to buy a bunch of jars for my flower collection. I have potato flour, rice flour, hazelnut flour, corn flour, almond flour, coconut flour, chickpea flour, all-purpose flour, bread flour, whole-wheat flour and pastry flour. And today I bought a brick of yeast and a rather generous amount of malt.

My name is Chris. I am a bread and pastry maker.

I got rid a bunch of glasses and dessert vessels that I never use on some of my open shelves in my kitchen and put all my basic baking needs there within easy reach. I have a kitchen to die for. I have half a wall of natural light and it is terribly efficiently designed. My counter could land a 747 — and all in a one bedroom.

I also got a large square pizza stone on which to bake my bread and a metal pan and chain of metal balls to heat up with the oven when I am bread making. I will toss a half-cup of water into the pan and onto the balls to create steam each time I bake pastry or bread.

Now I am ready to try baking some bread in my electric oven. I have to be prepared for far less beautiful outcomes than I got using the professional ovens at school, but I am going to give it a go because je suis Chris, pâtissier et boulanger.

No comments: