Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Fridge!

YESSSS … I have a fridge!!!
Yesterday morning I got confirmation of the refund from Lowe’s for the fridge that would have cost a lot plus the added costs of shipping and recycling my broken fridge and would have taken over two weeks to receive.
So I went to the Home and Garden store here and bought a fine new fridge right off the floor. They delivered it for twenty bucks and for another twenty bucks, took the old one away. It all took less than an hour. I literally kissed the hand of the good woman serving me.
I also own a fluoride filter now. I have it here but what I’m to do with it is a mystery. I couldn’t understand much of what the fellow who sold it to me said about how to use it. I’ve to hire a plumber to install it and I’ll learn what to do when he comes.
I’m going to Vancouver tomorrow to clean out my old place and see if a couple of things I’m missing are there. I’ve also to pick up the missing footboard for my bed and a few other errands.
In Vancouver there were needles everywhere — the kind that intravenous drug users use. Here there are needles everywhere too; they’re off the fir trees. I find them everywhere including, this morning, in my bed. Living here is a little like living at the beach with sand everywhere.
At lunchtime yesterday I went into the village and left some of my books at the Arts Council office. I met Michelle who runs the AC and I promised I would give her some to add to her arts lending library. And I volunteered to volunteer.
Another email I got yesterday told me I’d have access to my mail tomorrow or the next day. I get a mailbox. Mail is addressed to my home but I pick it up down the street (near the pasture I adore).








Collection of lachrymatorys (or lachrymosas), these tear catchers or tear vials - sometimes worn on a necklace, sometimes merely held - were used to gather the tears wept by mourners at funerals, to hold the tears of people mourning the passing of loved ones. One type of lachrymosa had a special top which allowed the tears to evaporate (signifying the time to stop mourning), others had a sealed top to allow the tears to last for a year, at which point they would be poured on the grave of the person whom the tears were wept for, Victorian era, 19th Century.












No comments: