Thursday, September 6, 2018

Di and DR Day

The vegetable garden fence is more than half done. Elaine came by to take a look yesterday and left more food. I have never had a fridge so full of fresh food and it’s all homegrown.
And Sheba is clean and fragrant. We have guests coming today and so she’s nice and clean and ready for lots of attention.
Darrell arrives every single morning with gifts: Grapes, cukes and tomatoes today, branches of Bay leaves to freeze yesterday, a basket of plumbs and tomatoes another day, salmon and homemade pasta sauce and salsa on another.
And he’s done all the work (over the past year) that’s made this place my home. He’s made my transition here pretty easy and very pleasant. Without his advice and assistance my move here might have been pretty awful.
Sheba got in the car by herself yesterday—twice! She’s only done it once before in our 10.5 months together. I’ve been going to Drumbeg every morning and I think she’s come to understand that there’s to be pleasure at the other end of the journey.
“By the way…. You use a hose, and not a sprinkler, to target water. That reduces water waste.” So says a neighbour in a follow-up email to my inquiry about my use of water. Plus, as Darrell pointed out, I use water from my cistern, not the well.
I have a regulator on my well that limits my consumption of water to only two minutes per hour and I’ve gone through this entire summer, watering my gardens, without reducing the cistern contents by much at all. I have no dishwasher and my showers are very  brief because I bolt asap to the hot tub.
In sum: I am a fair user of water. End of issue.
I binge watched and loved  an Australian TV series called Sisters. It’s about a woman whose father is a Nobel prize-winning geneticist, renowned for his in vitro clinic, and who, on his deathbed, reveals he has used his own sperm to father over one hundred children. It’s a comedy with a brain and a heart and the writing is great. I love the characters and all the actors.
At the end of the series there are a zillion cliff-hangers and no season two has thus far been announced. I watched it and loved it; Dingo, I noticed, repeated several words in every episode to improve “his” pronunciation. 
This afternoon Dianne and DR arrive to stay just tonight and tomorrow. They’ve been here before but there have been big changes since their last visit and the weather is far, far nicer now than when they were here before.
Tomorrow, after months without rain, it starts and there’s no end to cloudy rainy days in sight. What a sudden and dramatic change this will be to go through.
Quite a while back I ran into a former colleague from Emily Carr University of Art & Design. I introduced myself to him when he started at the college and that’s a rare thing for me to do. I’d had such a dreadful time adjusting to an academic environment; I didn’t want anyone to go through what I’d been through. There was absolutely no orientation and I wanted to help him if I could.
But then I was fired (for no cause) and David left too. It was a dreadful place to work. And so when I saw him in our grocery store one day, I was thrilled to discover he lived on the island. 
I heard from him yesterday and was thrilled because we’re going to get together sometime soon. It’s exciting news for this guy who left my friends behind when I moved here. Patsy is the only other person I knew before coming here and her friendship has been vital. Jay, another resident here, I’d met once before but he’s become a good friend.
Slowly, slowly, I’m earning a circle of friends here. 
“Your request has been reviewed. Our Drug Authorization Department has determined that this medication will be allowed as an exception o your drug plan with Green Shield Canada.”
I have seen the hurdles and overcome them. I now get one of my asthma medications totally free for the rest of my life. It’s medicine I must buy every month and it’s expensive.


















No comments: