Friday, September 28, 2018

John Mulaney

Time rolls by very pleasantly on sunny days. I feel really good all day, every bright day; It’s pleasant to do everything.
I wrote in the morning while Sheba’s impatience for a walk built. Then we walked a trail in the 707 Park that I like because of the open meadows it traverses. It’s still pleasant outside—warm, fresh and sunny. After our first walk we tried a new area. I wanted to walk beneath an open sky so we went for a wander around the helicopter landing pad and the area around it.
We had another walk in the afternoon, to Drumbeg of course, and when we come home I took to the spa and then got into my coziest jammies for a evening of peace because Her Highness had enjoyed so much exercise. 
Today is the last of this reprise of summer. Tomorrow the clouds come back and then the rain starts. And so do problems.
The animals kind of drive me crazy in the mornings. Ethel moans for something I don’t seem to have. Fred howls ceaselessly for no apparent reason and Sheba is the worst. She would prefer that we go out on an adventure as soon as she wakes and I’m not into that. I have three unhappy roommates until I do go out with her.
God I hope she hates the cold or I could be doomed this winter—especially when Standard Time has dawn arriving so late (and we get up so early).
We’ll go on a community dog walk this morning and then I’ll do some errands and chill around the house. But we’re going to Drumbeg late in the afternoon for another walk and to meet Patsy to share some champagne at the most beautiful time of day in the park.
My love affair with Drumbeg is partly due to its people. It attracts a nice sort and I nearly always have a short chat with a stranger. It’s Sheba that breaks the ice.
Two days ago I saw six large Otters swimming and hunting together. The next day I saw a huge Sea Lion doing something wonderful on the surface. I just sat and watched him/her play (?) for a long time. Yesterday I saw something really big in the water. It was a woman in a wet suit. She was swimming back and forth between the headlands of the park.
I also met Rick and his daughter, Summer. He moved here in 1971 and he knew the doctor whose land I know as Drumbeg Park. He donated his land to the  public and his home was dismantled.






Dwight suggested I watch a Netfix special by John Mulaney called Kid Gorgeous at Radio City. I pretty much hate stand-up comedy but I watched the whole thing. It’s terribly impressive to see one (small) man hold the rapt attention of a full house at Radio City. That’s six thousand people!
No set, not one prop—just him, in a suit cut to emphasize his youthful appearance, a microphone and a glass of water. He’s very funny and verygood at delivery.
He does a great bit about universities wanting donations from Alumni: “My tuition was more than it took to finance the Civil War and they want more money?” And a fabulous routine about a horse loose in the hospital as a metaphor on Trump.

















No comments: