Saturday, August 15, 2026

A Good Friday

 The sunshine coming through the trees was weak early yesterday morning. I reckon it’s smoke forming the high light cloud ceiling. I went out early to get started on watering every plant thoroughly. They will not be watered thoroughly again until Sunday/Monday. I spot watered in the afternoon, just to be sure all my floral friends survive my absence while I am in Vancouver. The smoke and weakened direct sunlight make it likely that all will go well. 

Then Her Highness and I went to the Windecker trail to walk through the forest with a couple of friends. When we were done, we came back home so that I could resume watering and then feed everyone lunch.

After lunch, we went into the village for gas, to order a prescription refill and to get some food shopping done. Then it was back home for chores. I hadn’t vacuumed in a week, and normally I vacuum every second day. I cleaned and tidied so that when I come home on Sunday, the house is in order, and I can just do spot watering and then chill for the rest of the day.

Yesterday afternoon, the smoke seemed to dissipate. It got hot and humid in the afternoon and then, at 15:00 clouds rolled in. I was thrilled because if the hang around a while, tomorrow my plants may have a cool day and retain the water I gave them yesterday.

We did a short walk in the afternoon. Sheba hates heat. And then I had a soak before packing and doing a few more chores before hitting the chaise and watching a movie. I went to bed early because we’re catching the 6:20 ferry, and that means leaving home just before 6:00.

Not long after dinner I went outside to check on the status of wetness in the garden beds and I heard the unmistakable sound of an ice cream truck. It had come along my street about a month ago, and this time, I was not going to miss the chance to be ten years old again. I hurried back into the house to fetch my wallet, and as I walked onto our street, I saw the truck coming past Pete and Ali's place. 

Colleen and her tenant, Laura, were out there, and so was Jim, another neighbour, and Colleen bought us all an ice cream treat. I got an ice cream sandwich and it was delicious on such a warm Summer night. Oh, nostalgia! What a good feeling you are!

I’m looking forward to the wedding and seeing friends, but I’m also fearful of being part of such a big crowd. But I’ll get through this, I’ll enjoy myself and Sunday will be thrilling because I’ll be coming home and having a White Spot hamburger on the ferry as we cross the straight to Nanaimo.

No post tomorrow. I'll be in Vancouver and I don't take electronics. Back on Monday.

















No comments: