Monday was a brilliantly sunny day all day, but the temperature didn’t hit the high notes. Yesterday peaked at 26°, but there was a cooling breeze blowing all day and it made working in the yard very comfortable.
I took Sheba to Ricki Ave. trail in the morning, and she wasn’t having it. She refused to walk. So, we went to Rollo Park where she hopped out of the car on arrival and eagerly took to walking the trail there. She seems to want shorter walks, so the Elder Cedar trail, plus Rollo Park and the trail at trailhead #6 are the routes she likes.
Her disinclination to walk on the long trails may be due to pain in her legs or her feet. I thought it was her distaste for a couple of the dogs in our pack, but we were alone this morning when he balked at Ricki Ave. This may mean we must drop out of our walking group. Time will tell. IF I drop out of the group, I’ll hardly ever socialize unless I go back to entertaining one or two people at a time.
I cleaned the pump in the fountain, I added chicken wire to the fence around the edible garden to protect the wild strawberries from deer, and I cleaned up the courtyard, and we went shopping, but the biggest job of the day was watering all the garden beds thoroughly. I got a lot done yesterday and earned my time on the couch in the evening.
When I finished with working in the yard, I took Her Highness to Elder Cedar to walk, and she was happy to walk there. I was glad to see her so willing to walk. At one point, I came upon a woman I know, and we stopped to chat and Sheba lay down on the trail. She has never done that before. It convinced me that she is dealing with mobility issues.
We came home and she rested while I had a spa, and then we all had dinner and I got on the chaise to watch a movie. How I love our evenings together!
After I watched a doc about a high school choir master, I went for a walkabout in the backyard. I realized quickly that I’d have to water everywhere again today and, probably, every day this week. It’s warm, it’s dry and direct sunlight is burning hot. I water early in the morning. I should water in the evenings, but I’m not prepared to be doing ‘work’ at night. However, watering in the morning means the water is gone by mid-day, especially in the beds above a mass of tree roots.
Last night I managed to find a used copy of John of John, the new Douglas Stewart novel, and I got it. I can hardly wait to read it! I was riveted to every page of Shuggie Bain (2020). My God, I loved that book! I must stock my shelves for the cold and wet months.
Today: watering and puttering around the yard. It may get quite hot in the afternoon, so I might be reading indoors.















No comments:
Post a Comment