Tuesday, January 23, 2024

A Cold House

Well, I learned something about my cats this morning. They choose me and our home over freedom.

Through the night, I felt my bedroom was cold, and then, when I got up this morning at 5:00 am, I found the back door wide open. I immediately panicked, but both of my beloved feline family members were still here. Thank God. It would have been a dreadful day today, had either of them gone missing.

Monday was a wet, wet, wet day. Still, Her Highness and I went for our morning walk with our friends in the early morning. All the snow is gone—and thank God for that. What a relief. As I walked, I loved being outside, but at the same time, I could hardly wait to get home to the fire and a new book. Plus, I had my delicious Thai shrimp soup for lunch. I made it on Sunday, and I’ll be making another batch soon.

Today, I have things to do. At 9:30 this morning, I Zoom with STAMMA as we discuss the organizations relationship with late onset stutterers. I am their go-to person on that subject. And then, at 11:00, I have another Zoom session with CAYA to discuss their GoTalk Fit device and to get info so that I can write instructions for the device because I found theirs to be lacking.

The ’distraction’ principle I learned about in a podcast by Dr. Cath Gregory, a speech pathologist and lecturer, from the University of Technology, Sydney, Australia. It was miraculously good advice. My speech is more fluent and comfortable when I use her technique when I am talking. 

I now can’t speak at all unless I allow my arms to shake. If I want to sit still, I can’t speak. The constant change in my condition is one of the worst parts of having it. I am constantly adapting and it’s exhausting sometimes.

I’m looking forward to the house being warm again, and getting to read and relax after my morning meetings. Meanwhile, the rain falls.
















No comments: