Saturday, January 13, 2024

DEEP Freeze!

 It was -10° yesterday morning when the sun came up. I can’t remember it being that cold outside here. Sheba went out to poop, quickly came back inside, and hopped into the chair right beside the fireplace. At 9:15 it was time to go for our walk. It was a truly beautiful Winter walk. It was clear and bright. I wore my artic jacket. I rarely wear it, but when I do, when it is freezing fucking cold outside, it is a godsend.

To be honest, as I bundled up to go for the walk, I could hardly wait to get home again and stick close to the fireplace. It was beautiful outside, but way too cold for me. I survived our walk, thanks to my polar jacket, but when I got home, Regina had sent an email. Regina is my favourite person on our dog walks. I always walk with her and her dog, Molly. Molly is a Doodle like Sheba, and they look so fine together.

Molly is dying of cancer. Regina found out late on Thursday. I am truly gutted by the news. I always worry about when it will be Sheba’s time, but I never think about the end of all the other dogs I love. Poor, poor Molly. There are rough days ahead for all of us who love her.

My friend Mikey tread on a nail one Saturday, and a week later he was dead. I tread on one, a rusty one yesterday morning, and I was worried about sepsis all day. Finally, unable to stop worrying, I contacted the clinic to ask about a Tetanus shot, and they called me in right away. Phew!

In the evening, I watched a movie I’d seen before. I continue to be calm watching movies. It’s a miracle. And when it was done, I loaded in lots of wood so that through the night, I could feed the fire, and that’s what I did. It was wonderful to wake up in tolerable temperatures. Still, it was cold in the house, so as well as the fire, I have my baseboard heaters on. 

This morning it is -15°. I absolutely hate this cold. To protect my pipes and water system, I built a fire in the studio as well, because my water pump and filters are in there. I’ll walk Her Highness, but they’ll be short walks. I expect to spend my day today, reading by the fire.















No comments: