Saturday, January 27, 2024

Finding Elizabeth

A wish that has been part of my soul for56 years, was granted last night.

When I was 19 years old, as I’ve written about here before, I accompanied a young woman just a year younger than me, to Wales where she took possession of a very impressive manor home left to her by her recently deceased uncle. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. But once I left, I never saw or heard from Liz again.

A week ago, I posted an ad on the I Grew Up in West Vancouver Facebook page, seeking anyone who knew her. The post was my latest attempt to find her. All my life I wondered how her story continued. I’d written to her in Wales (no answer, but I had the wrong address), I’d sought out her friends in high school, I tried everything I could think of to find her, but I couldn’t find Liz.

Then last night around dinner time, I got an email from my friend Susan saying she thought that she had found Liz’s email address, and she sent it to me. I immediately wrote to the address to see if it was, in fact, Liz at the other end. At 9:00, she replied. I can’t possibly put into words how I felt. I was elated. For 56 years I’d wondered, hoped and searched. Finally, there she was, and now we’re writing back and forth.

All my life’s biggest enigmas are solved. I found my birth mother, who my birth father was and two half-siblings, and lately I discovered the truth of me—the abuse. And now, Liz is back in my life. This is going to be a very good year!

Yesterday was another day in my dull, dull, but very happy life. Our walks were wonderful because it is so mild right now (I have a Dandelion blooming in the backyard). Otherwise, it was chores, reading and puttering. However, the day ended spectacularly. Kris, Steve, Nancy and I had dinner together at Woodfire. A very good time was had by all.

Today, I’ll be reading the very long letters that Liz, and her partner Patrick, have sent to friends all over the world. These letters recount, in wonderful detail, the extraordinary adventures that she has had on their boat since she sold her house if Wales. Liz has had the most exciting and scary life on board her sailboat. It’s a great, great read.




Orangutan hand.












No comments: