Friday, July 14, 2023

Recovering!

Thursday was rather exhausting. We left early for my physio appointment. There’s never a wait for the ferry early in the morning, even in the Summer. We got to Nanimo at 8:30 for an 11:30 appointment. I had a plan.

I drove north to the Departure Bay ferry terminal, and turned right to follow a road that that follows the coast north. I loved the driving beside the sea on a gorgeous sunny day with Sheba. There are views over parkland and between gorgeous houses. Via Hammond Bay Road we turned off to Neck Point Park. It’s a wonderful park, right on the sea, so Sheba and I went for a slow meander through it—from bench to bench.

I sat often to regain my strength, met some friendly people, and took in some sunshine at a place where there was no one where I could let Sheba off her leash. It’s a stunning park, especially on a stormy day at high tide which was the case when Steve and I discovered the park last Summer.

Then we went to my appointment, and it was truly wonderful. Cory, my therapist, filled me with confidence. He is clearly very knowledgeable about my condition. He explained what he thinks is happening and he had lots of visual aids and models. I learned a lot. And I know why, now, I want hunched over. It’s something he wants me to continue to do because he wants me to get to a point of no pain before we start ‘extension’ exercises.

We had a 1-ferry wait coming home but were we ever glad to be home. Sheba immediately sought out Sosa next door and they ran and played for a good half-hour. That tuckered her out and soon she was out cold on our bed. I had a spa. It was perfect.

I’ve awakened feeling much, much better. I know I still must move with care, but I can stand for much longer, stand straighter and I can find comfort for sleeping lying in both sides. That’s a first since the onset of this sciatica. 

As of 10:00 am this morning I’ll have a walker, but I feel I don’t really need it. I’m not to do anything at all that might trigger my back (like finishing the footpath); I’m to rest but not be inactive and I see Cory again in a week.

I’ve to water the gardens. That’ll have me moving around. But I’ll also read on the chaise. But, in truth, it bores me to read on a sunny day. I’d rather be active. I will see if I can walk down the road and back. And I’ll do all my prescribed exercises!















No comments: