Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Bunnies!

We walked twice and I got lots of garden work done. It was a glorious day in the afternoon, the morning being too cool for me. I like to be warm when I am recreationally working around Pinecone Park. 

I planted two Clematis to grow up the fence of the edible garden. That meant not just digging holes and planting them with bone meal and compost, it also means putting up wire mesh cages for them to protect them from deer, and that’s a lot of slow work. I’m hopeful that they will flourish and bring colour to the part of the yard that is visible from the street.

Our afternoon walk was fabulous because it was so wonderfully warm. I was giddy playing fetch with Her Highness and happy to come home to chill and to finish with Ripley. It’s so easy to relax after a day of accomplishment in the garden, and relaxation began with a lovely long soak in the spa as soon as we got home.

I had considerable ‘trouble’ at the dentist in the morning. I had a new hygienist, so I had to warn her about seizures, and sure enough, 20-minutes into the appointment, I seized, and I had trouble getting myself back in order. I had a pretty tough time trying to get my trembling under control. I see Dr. Shoja next Tuesday; I can hardly wait to talk to her about this increasingly challenging symptom.

I have written to Bronwyn, my gardening consultant and helper whom I like very much, asking her to come back and help me again. Everything needing doing in the Fern Garden involves bending over; I can’t consider doing it. I love working with her and l can hardly wait to get together again.

When I was at the park, I ran into some regulars and some new people. This is Rollo Park. It is two large, grassed playing fields, plus one trail through a wall of natural forest buffering the homes beside the park from the noise of the park. We love this park for two reasons: there are no trees and lots of direct sunshine, and the grassy fields are where we play fetch, and her feet are on a safe surface. The pads of her feet are easily damaged.

In the evening, I finished Ripley. What a clever, clever story, and it was so, so beautiful. It is a feast for the eyes, and the leads all play their characters quietly. I think it’s a brilliant film. It’s on Netflix.

This morning has dawned clear and bright, but it’s still quite cool in the mornings. The afternoons are a delight, but the mornings make me quick to light the fire. 

I awoke feeling distant from Sheba because she’s been testing me. She’s been acting defiant when I call her, and it’s rather disappointing. There was no necking this morning, and wouldn’t you know it, she went out, then came into the house and she vomited in the living toom. Then, once that was cleaned up, she suddenly started barking angrily as she stared out the window. 

That usually means there’s someone walking on the street, or there’s a deer in the garden, but not yesterday morning. At first, I couldn’t see anything at all. Several times, she’s done this, seemingly barking at nothing, but then I saw some movement in the undergrowth of the Salal at the front of my yard. It was baby bunnies! One was white and the other a beautiful reddy-blonde, and they were quite small. Oh, how cute they were!!!
















No comments: