Wednesday, April 3, 2024

My Garden Delights

This is the curious plant that I planted last year. A single leaf was
the gift of a neighbour and this year it has already spread a lot.

This beauty is the first blossom on a plant I put into the garden
6 years ago. I have no idea what the plant is called, but I am
thrilled that it is blooming. I can hardly wait to see and smell it.

This Azalea went in last year. My pink Axaleas are both well
past the flowering stage and are now flush with leaves.

This beautiful moss—the photo does not do it justice—grew
spontaneously on a rock in my front yard. I love it!

I have 2 ornamental Cherry trees and they are 
both blooming right now. They bring lovely colour
to the yard and Dave loves it.

My herb garden is booming!

Tuesday was another very slow day at Pinecone Park. Sheba and I went over to Dave and Ursula’s to look at the finished foundation. Today, Dave’s construction foreman, Andrew, arrives and tomorrow, the first load of the yurt kit arrives, and Dave and Andrew can get started on the floor of the yurt. I’m looking forward to watching the build.

I did yard work for much of the afternoon. I used my leaf blower to get as much of the pollen off my back deck and the courtyard as I could, and I did some more work on removing the forest fall from the yard.

 Plus—and this rather stuns me—I had to water the edible gardens and all the container plants. We haven’t had real rain for quite a while and the soil is drying out. I can’t remember ever having to start watering this early before, and it looks like I’ll have to keep at it because there’s no rain predicted for the coming week.

When I was in India, my friends Frani and Chris came to take a tour and I joined them. Our tour itinerary was 3 weeks. After a week of breakfasts together, I asked Chris: “What do you to? Do you get up early to scan the news on your iPad so that you can choose the most depressing or depraved thing to bring up at breakfast?”

He always brought up the worst stories. After asking the question, I said that I would be happier having breakfast alone for the rest of the trip, but Frani said adamantly that she was team Chris on this topic, and so Chris promised not to bring up depressing subjects for discussion. That’s a better topic for happy hour when there’s alcohol.

I am detached from the news, and I live a very small life. Home is my happy place. I don’t want to soil my brain with bad thoughts. I can barely handle movies, but I use the mute button, and I can fast forward through entire scenes.

I was born right after the second world war. Everything seemed ideal. It seems so innocent now, that time when children could walk to school and back without anyone being concerned, and when there was no drug epidemic or homelessness–not that I saw or read about anyway. My father worked for the largest newspaper in Vancouver, The Vancouver Sun, and I spent Saturdays and some evenings, at the paper.

He'd take me with him to his office, and I’d wander about through the various offices, but not to the floors where the printing presses were. I heard about stories from the photographers and the writers, and then I’d read about them in the paper. Then, the next time I was with Dad, I’d ask them why so many of the things they told me, weren’t in the paper. And I learned a lot about ethics, and error, and about libel. This was his way of avoiding having to find and hire a sitter, but my every experience there was a wonderful education.

I am very depressed about how technology is affecting people. I’m depressed about everything, so this is no surprise. That’s why I want to focus on the positive. I want to think about my garden, and walks, and my cats, and to talk with friends and not think about what humans are doing “out there.” I want a t-shirt that says: Ashamed to be human. But I could never wear it. I prefer invisibility.

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky when I got up, but now, 2.5 hours later, the sky has clouded over with light cloud. It’s likely to become sunny again later, that seems to be the pattern of late, and so it’s likely to be another lovely afternoon and that’s when I’ll get off my butt and get busy in the gardens. But first, a walk with Sheba and our friends.















No comments: