Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Forgotten Signs


This is a lovely feel-good video. Sadly, I’ve forgotten nearly all the signs I learned because I knew no one with whom to practice signing. I still use some signs, such as when I first present to a stranger, but I retain my love for the language. And I also love Nyle DiMarco, the exceptionally handsome man in the video.

It was lovely starting the day walking with my group. We were 7 and there were 7 doggers with us. Everyone was in a superlative mood because it was so gorgeous in the sunshine. We walked a long trail together, and Sheba loved every second of it. Then we came home to chill. I had a nap.

Then I went over to Pete’s to borrow his dolly so that I could move some planters and do some planting in them. Pete’s going to a nursery on the big island on Saturday, and he’ll pick up some things for me. They have some interesting shade plants where he is going, and I want to fill in some areas in my gardens.

In the spectacular and warm afternoon, we went to Rollo Park to play fetch. Today, it’s predicted to rain but I’m not optimistic. I hope it does because my gardens are showing signs of thirst and tomorrow, and for the ensuing week, we expect glorious weather. That means the watering of my gardens by hand must start for the season.

I went into Nester’s and to its deli where some lovely women work who always make me feel like a million bucks. One of them, the elder one, loves to learn a new sign from me each time we meet, and Phoebe, the younger one, is, I think, gay, and that is why we have such a great bond. 

When I arrived, I was having trouble. I had to steady myself and put my basket down. I did not know what was going on, but soon I did–I was having a big old nasty seizure. Well, both women were soon at my side, and when it was over, we all shared hugs, and I ordered 4 samosas. When I got home, there were 5 samosas in the bag and a nice note from Phoebe.

When these things happen, I sometimes feel lucky to have a disability; being disabled brings out the best in people around me and I live in a much, much kinder world.
















No comments: