Saturday, May 18, 2024

A Hard & Heavy Working Day

I was up and instantly into high gear at 6:00 am. I felt tremendous pressure to do so many things yesterday morning. The house was a mess, the small forest of Boxwood roots were probably drying out to death and desperately needed watering and planting, and my beds were desperate for water; there was wilt everywhere. There was naught but to get right to it, and so by 7:00 I needed a rest and a shower. My clothes were soaking wet. 

I realized I needed soil to do a good job of the Boxwood planting, but the nursery doesn’t open until 9:00, so while I waited to go, I vacuumed the house before heading into the village. When I got back home, I planted more Boxwood, and then I got busy with watering all the beds. 

By 11:30, I was feeling calm. I had all the boxwood I wanted to plant in the ground and all the beds in the backyard were well watered. The planting and the watering were both critical work that needing doing. I don’t want to be responsible for the death of any plants. Yes, plants fail, but I don’t ever want to be the cause of their demise.

My condition makes life very hard for me when “chaos” reigns. I feel overwhelmed when my world is in chaos. The van is disgusting because it was fully loaded with the Boxwood and the floor of the van is covered in inches of dirt. And because of the wind these past two days, everything is covered in bud caps. (Bud caps are the little brown covers of new shoots that burst out all over the branches of the Fir trees.) Each tree has billions of them, and the wind blows them everywhere. My yard is covered, so I must clean out Sheba’s water bowl and at least clear the deck so that I’m not tracking them into the house all day.

Although I love the natural cover that has replaced my lawns, now all the weeds are seeding and so I need to weed whack all the cover. That need, too, is a big factor of my sense of chaos. And I felt responsible for all the Boxwood. I wanted to save it from being burned, so I took all that Steve and Dan removed from their garden. All morning, I was fighting to restore order and bring an end to my sense of disorder. 

All day, it was go, go, go. I needed donuts to get myself through the day, but I didn’t have any. All day, I looked forward to stopping work and slipping into the hot tub, and then spending the rest of the evening at rest.

I fed the family at 11:30 and then watered the edible garden and the front gardens. Finally, I was at peace, and I could get started on more wood toting and stacking. But I only did 5 loads before I felt too tired to continue. Dave came by and I am always and immediately fluent with him, but I could barely speak with him. I was just too pooped. So, I got Her Highness into the car, and we went for a nice relaxing walk together. Then we went into the village to do my grocery shopping, and to get donuts.

When we got back, I used the energy of one donut to do three more loads. I’ve now loaded, toted and stacked 83 wheelbarrow loads of wood over the past 5 days. I’ve 2 to 3 more loads to do and then all the stackable wood will be done. Then I must stack all the thin sticks that came with the 3 cords, and the stubby pieces that I also stack separately. I’ll get that done today if the weather permits. It may be showery, and so I may finish up on Sunday.

Once I was done with the wood, I cleaned up everywhere. I’d left tools and stuff around the yard from the day’s work, so I put it all away and covered the remaining wood in case it rains tonight or tomorrow. Done at 4:00 pm, and it felt so, so good! I got into the spa and then onto the chaise for the evening. I had dinner there while watching TV, and afterwards until I very, very happily took myself to bed.

What a day!

What heaven is this? When I got up this morning, I quickly realized that it had rained during the night, and it seemed to me that it was real rain and not just a light shower. And then, after being up for about half an hour, it started raining some more. Real rain, too! I’m thrilled to have a day of rest—I lit a morning fire—and I’m very happy for the gardens and that I covered up all the remaining wood before I quit working for the day yesterday.

I’ve to take recycling to GIRO and to fetch some dog biscuits from Daryl and our first Summer farmers’ market at our Agi Hall today.


Click to enlarge. It's hard to see, but Sheba's mat and the deck
are covered with bud caps. This is what fell yesterday after I 
cleared the deck in the morning. This is how thick it falls in one
day. There are drifts of caps in the parking lot of Nester's.

Starting to plant the Boxwood from Dan and Steve.

I've posted a photo of this garden many times, but in the back,
against the fence, you can see my Boxwood planting. I love how
the Boxwood adds depth to my garden. I hope it lives.

Finished. I like seeing the tree emerge from a
green bower.

The Boxwood links to the Gate Garden. This is where all the
Salal died. 

My natural cover is looking rather ragged because I have been
busy with the wood and I haven't had time to maintain the grounds.
But my garden is looking decent and today's rain will bring some
snap to it today.

The yellow Laburnum is such a wonderful asset to the yard.

This thing is HUGE!

I love how the entrance to my studio is framed with the lush
green of the trellis and the Japanese Maple. And of course, my
favourite garden embellishment, the fountain.

Now tha the Peonies are up, this new bed is looking good.

The Ivy is going bananas. I planted it to give the garden a sense
of age. And the two bushes on the left—I've forgotten their names—
they are thriving in spite of getting no direct sunshine. 

The Fern Garden is maturing nicely. It is made up of Ferns I
found on the lot when I was landscaping. I moved them all
to this bed.

My very, very delicate and new Japanese Maple.

This is THE most lovely and fragrant shrub. I just bought a 
second one to increase the fragrance os my beds.

No comments: