Monday, May 13, 2024

Welcome Grosbeaks!

Sunday was glorious. When I got up at 5:00 am, it was a magnificent 19°. But I had no power. I puttered about doing chores, and then took Her Highness walking. When we got to North Road, we found it closed, going north. A tree was down across the road, and it had taken out our phone and internet wires.

We walked and then returned home, Her Highness to rest and me to address the work to be done in the shed. I had to move about half a cord of wood, and move some other things around to create clear access to the space where all int wood coming tomorrow would go. I must keep similarly aged wood together. Come Wintertime, I’ll want to burn the driest wood first.

By noon my back was aching, and I was pooped. I took a break from shed work to have a short rest in the sunshine before returning to work and finishing the shed. As I was fetching my recliner chair, I was stopped dead in my tracks at the sight of two beautiful birds of a kind I have never seen before. They were feeding at my feeder; I’m pretty certain they were Evening Grosbeaks. 


Mid-afternoon, Her Highness and I went for a long slow walk. We didn’t see a soul. It was a beautiful way to pass out time together, walking through the forest on a perfect day. I loved our walk. And then I came home to shower and shave before going to Kris and Steve’s for dinner with Kris and Nancy (Steve’s away on their boat with their son, Connor).

We three had a lovely evening. We ate dinner early and I was home early and went to bed early. The work of the lovely Summer-like days exhausts me, so I’m out like a light at night and quickly to sleep.

Today, the wood arrives. It’s slightly overcast and I’m glad because I won’t be a sweaty mess when I am schlepping the wood.












Mexican Dogwood




No comments: