Saturday, July 27, 2024

Great Party!

The Regional District of Nanaimo sent an animal bylaw officer to my door a couple of years ago. She came with a ticket ordering me to pay a $457 for letting my “out of control” and “highly aggressive” dog frighten and harass a local woman. Besides her complaint about Sheba, the complainant claimed I had also abused her, shouting very nasty things at her.

I could barely speak to the officer when she knocked on my door and showed me the letter containing the information about the fine. I wrote notes and struggled to speak with her. After a bit, I asked her: “Given that you have heard me trying to speak, do you believe that I could have yelled these things she claims I said?” The bylaw officer admitted that it seemed unlikely, and I was not fined. However, the complaint stayed on file, and she advised me that should there be another such complaint, Sheba would be euthanized.

Well…. Yesterday I got a letter delivered by courier from another bylaw officer telling me that a complaint had been received about my roosters, and honestly, I am appalled by this complain process whereby the complainant is believed without investigation. I have been assumed to be guilty twice now, and I’ve had to prove my innocence. This is a flawed system. And try to reach someone about this, but it’s impossible. I’m pissed!

However, the day ended brilliantly because Grey, Sara, Ursula and Dave came for a barbeque dinner, and I loved every second of it. It was so wonderful to have such lovely, fun and friendly people over for dinner in my garden. It was a spectacular night of no noise, no wind, and no wasps. It was one of the nicest evenings at Pinecone Park that I can remember—largely because it was outside and we bad burgers on the barby!

I’m swamped, so no photos today. I’ve been cleaning up from last night, watering, and soon I must go to Eoin and François’ place to fetch some rocks and to meet their new goats. I can hardly wait.

No comments: