Tuesday, July 2, 2024

More Baking; No T de F

 Monday was a great day, but it tired me out. I think something is wrong with my pacemaker. I could barely stand after walking up the hill at Ricki Road. I see my nurse practitioner next week, so I will ask her for a referral to the pacemaker clinic then.

After our walk, we went into the village for supplies as it was time to frost and decorate the cake for this afternoon’s mid-day party at Pete and Ali’s place. But as I was getting ready for baking, I heard odd noises down the street, and then a parade of cars, all bright and shiny clean and covered in Canadian flags, passed by my house. There were as many cars in the parade as pass by my house in an average year.

I noticed plants fading in the heat, so I watered all the backyard beds before coming in to assemble the cake. I made a four-layer cake. Between each layer are sliced strawberries and white chocolate ganache that is tinted pink. It took my three hours to make the ganache and to assemble the cake and frost it. And then, of course, I was pooped, so I had a nap before taking Sheba walking. It’s too hot now to play fetch with her.

When I got home, I had a spa. I did a big chemical wash last week, and I left the top open for a few hours each day to allow the chemicals to leach out of the water and into the air. Yesterday, the water was pristine and so I knew it was ready for me. And once dried, I watered the front beds. What a busy day!

With all my work done, I got onto the couch to watch day 3 of the Tour de France, but there was no live coverage of stage 3 on YouTube. Sigh. There’s only a highlights video that is mere minutes compared to the 5-6 hours of a live feed of an entire stage. However, soon it will be time for the Olympics.

This morning involved the last step of making the cake. I am very pleased with it. Last night I made a strawberry gelatin layer onto which I dusted gold flakes. This morning, I was thrilled to find it coalesced perfectly, so it now tops the cake, and I will finish the decorating today with the butter cream. Photo tomorrow.
















No comments: