Monday, March 23, 2015

Monday: Workshop Day

It’s W-Day: Workshop day. I will meet Lois Anderson, who will play Vivicean, and have a reunion with Allan Zinyck (Basil) whom I have not seen in years. I have a script ready for each of them plus Kim, the director. And I have included a page of notes explaining:
·      Why I have two fictional characters and what they represent;
·      What the “telegrams” are and why they are included; and
·      Why the fictional characters wear paper costumes.

I have had a note from the theatre’s publicist laying out her plans for building an audience for the show, and I have told her all I am doing at PAL, through my mailing list and by having my party.

I am having my party because my party last year was popular with my friends. I have a plan to do it annually. But this year, everyone is going to notice the costumes that are scattered through my place and I think they are going to be very effective at building interest amongst my friends for my play.

Also, the party is May 9th.  By that date, I have to have my lines down because rehearsals start right afterwards and in no time we’ll be opening. And what happens right after an opening night? Review. That’s what.

This will be my first time. I have never been reviewed. And with this production, I am author, designer and performer. I face the possibility of a sentence like this: “Instead of doing everything, Loranger should have stuck to just writing.” Or: “Instead of doing everything poorly, he should have done one thing well.” You get the idea.

You understand why the party had to be before we open.
In a sudden fit of bravery, I cut Basil’s costume in half.

I have felt for a long time, I made a mistake in the primary structuring of the costume. The essential design requirement of both costumes is the speed with which it can be put on and taken off. Vivicean’s costume is perfect in that regard, but Basil’s was an awkward costume so it had to change.

But I dithered. And then, suddenly, like a person harboring a rage about someone and suddenly being triggered to murder, I cut the costume in half. Now I am enjoying making the pants. I am very happy when I am sewing.

And I had a wonderful insight the other day.

Vivicean and Basil have two scenes. In the first scene, I hope the audience is impressed by the costumes so I felt a change in their costumes is required for their second scene. For Vivcean, I built a parasol. Time has passed for her second scene; the parasol signals that. But I did not know what to do with Basil.

My back up plan was to give him a hat, but a hat is problematic for lighting and is not showy enough. But last night, I had my eureka moment.

In his second scene, uptight, moral Basil reveals he has seen a nude musical. The news gives us hope for Basil, who is my primary oppositional character. He is growing, so I am going to give him a bright red paper scarf or tie.

No comments: