Monday, March 30, 2015

Next Show: Rita

I have a strong idea for a project: A show about Rita. It is a delicious story. Over the next few months, I will be thinking about how to tell it. Rita the musical? No. Rita and Me, a straight play. Nope. Done both those forms. Rita and the Lonely Angry Boy, a stylish fable? Maybe. I am not sure of the form, but there is a great story in our relationship. They say, "Write what you know."

Then there's what to do with it. There are options. I could produce it myself at PAL or At Presentation House space and earn a considerable return. Or I could pitch it to Presentation House where I am creating a good relationship, but to be part of their season, not an add-on as has happened with Trudeau.

But then there’s Pacific Theatre, given the nature of the story. What is remarkable and wonderful is that I have confidence and I think I have choices. I am not the inexperienced insecure writing man/boy any more.

With both Knock Knock and Trudeau heading into production, I am an “emerging” playwright and screenwriter of promise. Finally, at age 67, that is true and I can fairly expect producers to read my work with interest.

With each success my audience builds. I filled the teeny-weenie PAL theatre for four shows with friends. After Trudeau, that audience will grow because I am going to offer them a print or something so that I can capture their email addresses to add to my mailing list.

After Trudeau, I will be able to self-produce at PAL for a week with my own audience using my expanded mailing list, thereby earning enough to continue this new career in perpetuity. I can only write work that gets seen. 

I don’t believe in possibilities, I believe in certainties.

No comments: