Friday, April 24, 2015

My Voice & the Stage

The plan has been, since November of last year, that I would get a Botox shot in my vocal chords in advance of doing the play. Well, this week, the time for the shot arrived and I chickened out. Yes, I was afraid of a long needle going into my throat for sure, but I was also afraid of doing damage instead of making things better.

Why? Twenty-two years ago, I had a heart attack. It was my second and so it was determined that I would have an angiogram to check out the state of my arteries. That involves a tube inserted in an artery in your inner thigh, that is then run up through your artery to the heart and when the tube reached my heart, it triggered my third heart attack.

Sometimes cures backfire, it what I learned so I chose not to have the Botox. Instead, as a precautionary move, I was given a systemic anti-fungal medication to ensure that the fungus I cannot shake does not re-establish itself in my throat and on my vocal chords.

My HIV medications are psychotropic. They affect mood, perception, emotion and behaviour so I take them just before going to bed to avoid any hallucinations. Well the anti-fungal medication increased the potency of my HIV meds by a factor of 17, so life yesterday, today and for the weekend is challenging.

Bedrest and hemming Vivicean's costume is in order and that is all.

No comments: