Thursday, April 9, 2015

Rich, Wonderful Thursday

Wow! What a day!

First of all, Warren sent emails and called. Warren, dear reader, is my writing partner when I am writing about my own life. He is my life dramaturge and he is my partner in the stage and screen version of Uncle Gus' Monkey. Tomorrow he is coming by with edits to the stage play.

This news thrills me because it increases the likelihood of our script getting produced at the Arts Club. And that would be the greatest/proudest achievement of my life because the Arts Club is my spiritual home. It is where my theatre training occurred and where I experienced my first feeling of belonging to a family. It is a sacred place.

Then we got an email from Brad, the producer at Shavick who took an interest in the Uncle Gus screenplay. Our option agreement is actually being written by their Business/Legal staff. Brad wrote: "The development team have all read it and like it.  Concerns about the budget and some other things but all can be fixed in time."

Then I had lunch with Wendy, with whom I went to high school and was a member of our municipal boys and girls band. I did not know until very recently that she had been adopted and failed to bond as I did and we had a teary lunch. This writer gained new imagery for future work from her. Boy, it was emotional and wonderful. I have a new friend, but she lives in Victoria.

Then I took a nap and when I wrote, I wrote to a woman I know who runs the theatre program at Capilano College. It is a department where I once taught. Kim, the artistic director at Presentation House, wants to build ties with his community and that fits with my plans for The Harridan, my play for Presentation House's 2015/1 season.

If Gillian, at Cap, finds my proposal to work with some of her students for credits or in an apprenticeship relationship, I can write for a large cast and Actors' Equity allows for work with students in accredited post-seondary programs.

Then I started writing Harridan. That is really something to me. My fourth script in two years and already two are produced or in production and the third just got closer to success with Warren's help that comes tomorrow. Life is good.

No comments: