Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Coincidence

Tuesday was sunny and bright all day. Her Highness and I went for a lovely morning walk and then I came home to read and do errands. When Ron came to take Sheba for her afternoon walk, I got busy tidying up the shed and gathering up all the stuff I need to take to the recycling depot. Once Sheba was back, She had a nap and I got into the spa for a wonderful long and lazy soak.

When I was at UBC, I remember being in a carpool with a fellow named Dale. And he decided to volunteer with an organization called Gordon House (GH). GH provided services to marginalized people. Dale got me involved. I was around 20 years old. My entire experience with GH came down to one vivid memory. It involved a young teenager who refused to speak.

 Dale and I were part security personnel, part caregivers. After we’d had a couple of sessions with him, we met a woman who was his therapist, or doctor. I can’t remember her position. But she explained to us what happened. This is what I remember: That the boy was sexually abused in a bedroom in his house by his parents. The woman told us that he lives in a world where everything is a trigger. His entire universe is linked to things in that bedroom. He was locked into his trauma.

Sound like anyone?

I watched a pretty satisfying movie last night. The Fabelmans is a lovely story based on Steophen Spielberg's life experience. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. But it was a rough ride for me. A classic bumpy ride. I had a seizure when there was a fight between two men. There are triggers everywhere for me, too. Not nearly as many as there was for that young man. And we both have speech disorders. 

Fact: Coincidence.  Human: Magical.

On thing I loved about The Fabelmans movie was that a feature part of the story is the relationship between the boy who loves to make films and his mother. And in a powerful scene between them, her message is: Follow your heart. That’s what I did when I saw this house I’m in online on a real estate website. It was love at first sight. I moved in here 37 days after seeing the ad. Then my heart led me to Fred, Ethel and Sheba. What a smart move for me, all these decisions were. 

Emotional decision making has been my way of life since birth. In grade seven, I was put in the accelerated group, but that program did not allow for taking music and art classes and I knew what I wanted to do.  One reason I know I’m old is that I am so nostalgic. 

Today, after I walk with Her Highness, I’m taking bags of plastics pop tins and glass bottles to our recycling centre. Then I have an appointment with the insurance agent. In the afternoon, Sarah and Graybin are coming over to help me assemble the wood splitter. In the evening, I’m taking François out for dinner to thank him for fixing my leaky faucet. 












Nureyev's tomb in Paris. It's a mosaic rug.


The Princesses Cornstocks.

No comments: