Thursday, October 26, 2023

VERY Good News!

I got up at 4:30 to be sure I’ comfortably get my morning errands done and walk Her Highness, before catching the 7:00 am ferry to the big island, and from there, to Vancouver. It was a very wet, windy and stormy day. I went directly to Granville Island to get saucisson sec, and then to Save on Foods for more supplies, and then I went to an off-leash area to walk Sheba.

I put the bed in the car and my plan was to tire her out with a good long (wet) walk, then I fed her when we got back to the car. And I gave her water and went into the van Deusen gift shop to get some girlie soap. And then I met Nicola for lunch. We had a great time. I am lucky to be her friend. She is a fabulous actor. Family. And then I went to John and Bunny’s at about 3:30, we talked and snacked, talked and had dinner, talked over dessert and after dinner drinks, and then we all went to bed. I have never stayed anywhere in Vancouver except and John and Bunny’s. They welcome Sheba and so it’s my Vancouver home. I am so, so lucky.

And here’s what I learned about my voice: Initially, it was really, really hard, both with Niki and with J&B. But after about half an hour, I can speak very well. So socializing is good, but I still prefer small groups. But now I know, once I settle into the new environment and people, I do well. It happened twice.

Bottom line: I remain in far worse shape than before ‘the second coming,’ but I am at my best when I most need to be, with my friends. So the crisis is over, but the changes in my symptoms are nasty and likely to last, but my friendships are safe, and that’s what matters to me.

The best part was coming home. I’m very happy that I went and saw my friends, and the outcome of my first social experiences since the second coming was far better than anything I imagined. I couldn’t be happier. I’m. very glad I went. 

When I used to get migraines, I had mighty bad ones. They’d come on every Friday and Saturdays were days when I wanted to die. The headaches were atrocious, but late on Sunday, I’d vomit, and the headache would end. Then I would sleep in an extreme state of sleep until Sunday night. After every one, I’d be really happy because it was so far away from the next one.

That’s what I feel like when I go to Vancouver. All my travels late in like were in Africa and India. I slept in hotels or homes in small villages and spent most of my time in the landscape and with wildlife. I had no interest in cities, and I still don’t—especially now, with my hypersensitivity to my environment.

When I got home, the house was freezing cold. From the ferry, I’d seen the first snowfall on the mountains. It was beautiful to see, but it’s cold now. People were talking about wanting gloves. I lit a roarer of a fire, and unpacked. Fred and Ethel were very welcoming. We were reunited. Order restored. I’m camp Dorothy: There’s no place like home.

I think the time to go is in Springtime and when the weather is good. The rain made dealing with the city worse. What I hate is all because I have to drive in the city and find a parking place and pay for that place. It’s just all so fucking intense.

It would kill me to go to Toronto on a plane. I’d LOVE to go to TO in a caravan, but it ain’t gunna happen. Celebrities are taking mental health breaks. I am on a permanent neurological care break. I like going to Victoria. I love driving the highway with Sheba in the passenger seat. When I’m there, it’s usually to visit Jess and Todd and I’m not in the city. It’s so easy.

John has a trustee to be the executor of his estate. I called Dwight last night and told him I was thinking of a trustee because I am re-doing my will. But, I told him, I could make him the trustee, and he could hire someone to do the work. That would leave more money for him and my other beneficiaries. He’s going to be my executor, and that’s a huge relief for me. I video chatted really well with him, too!

Well … it’s -2° and there was sleet/snow here yesterday. I missed it because it fell during the night on Tuesday, but Winter is here. That said, though, it is going to be sunny for the coming week and so I expect to get some more splitting done. If I have a nice warm home to came back into, I won’t mind working in the cold. It’s good to be outdoors.















No comments: