Saturday, October 21, 2023

Progress & Happiness

Our walk Friday morning was wonderful. I was very pleasantly surprised by how well I was able to communicate with Di, Dona, Anthony, Judith and Regina. It’s always been the case that I speak best with my fellow dog walkers because I see them 3-4 times a week. I cherish them for that reason. I will never be isolated or lonely thanks to them.

Bruce called me on Facetime, and it was brutal. But I discovered something: I am fluent if I whisper. As time passes two things happen: I relax into my condition, my fears decrease, and I learn work arounds. It was a huge relief yesterday to have these experiences, and I’m only 3 days into this reduction of capacity. I’ll find out on Tuesday how well I speak with dear friends whom I don’t see often. The more time I spend with people, the more I will understand what to expect when I socialize. But I felt very, very relieved after yesterday morning’s walk.

This decline hit hard, but I am finding my way. I’m not ‘locked out’ as I feared. But I just barely communicate. Day-to-day living is fine when I’m alone, and very, very different from the first 7 years of FND when I speak. I’m not looking forward to Zooming with my BC Stutterers group. I’m sure they’ll let me stay, but I no longer identify as a person who stutters.

I still stutter, but the stuttering is slight because when I do ‘speak’ now, I often have to say it one syllable at a time. I don’t follow grammatical rules either. I use what I call key words. For example: “I’m going to the store, okay? I’ll be right back.” I say: “Me go store, fast back.” I stick to one-syllable words as much as possible. But you know what? It’s what I do. It just happens. I don’t have to think ahead of speaking. I just can’t do otherwise.

Wednesday was sad and scary. Thursday was calmer but still scary. Today, I’ve felt happy all day. As I experience this new me, it’s less frightening and I as I develop coping strategies, that helps too. The huge relief of being able to communicate at a basic simple level has given me a huge lift of spirits. Add to that, that I’m still alive and living is my own paradise, and my affliction doesn’t hurt and is not fatal.

I took a note to the pharmacy and gave it to Aaron. It was not about dating even though he’s the most handsome man on the island, and he’s very personable. I’m a big client of the pharmacy, I have 9 ongoing prescriptions that I’m constantly refilling. The note was to ask permission to renew my prescriptions by email. There was an email from him in my in box when I got home.

And I got a deeply moving email from my friend Bob. He’s part of my theatre family, and he was married to Karen, one of the most fun and smart people I knew. She sadly died a couple of years ago. I watched their two incredible daughters grow up. They all were part of our theatre community, and Karen and Bob once worked for me. One of his daughters, Jessica, is a friend on Facebook and she saw my video showing the severity of my impediment. She told Robert, and so he sent me the note.

I doubt any of my long-time friends know how important they are to me. I’m sure they know I love them, but I don’t think anyone who had a family can’t understand what it’s like to grow up without one. But they likely don’t know that they are functioning for me as family. Instead of feeling part of a family as a kid, I’m feeling it now.

It’s almost certain that I’m going forward with a new guideline: Declining invitations to be with more than four people (including me). I suspect I may be invited to some Christmas parties. I may go, but they are so loud and over stimulating, I shut down. I am restricted to observer status, and, frankly, I’d rather not be there. But I will do it, happily, when not to feels rude to me.

I also thing playing games is a great way to visit with friends because it’s being together in a common experience and when playing games, we don’t talk politics or debate. I can’t engage in deep conversations; it’s not a good fit with my speech capacity.

I finished the huge novel I’ve been reading, The Covenant of Water. I enjoyed it, and it’s a great story that spans three generations. I marvel and Verghese’s imagination—and his vocabulary. I didn’t have the over-the-top reaction to it that happened when I read his first novel, Cutting for Stone. I’m going to read that book again.

I may be reaching a point of movie saturation. I don’t tolerate watching television or movies as well now. I’d rather read, answer emails, write my posts or go down internet wormholes. I may go to Vancouver more often, or Victoria, to break up the routines of the indoor season. 

Today is predicted to be, as yesterday was, dry. I’ve got to clean up the car before I go to Vancouver, and I’m going to put the bed back into the car so I can lie down if I want to, with Her Highness, on the ferry. I go to Vancouver on Tuesday. I’m feeling very, very much better about going because I can be present with my friends. It’s different, but it works.

This morning, Her Highness and I went for a forest walk and I felt positively euphoric about life. I’ve already reached a point of not caring at all about my voice anymore. It is what it is. I am fine and life is fabulous. Here are some photos from our morning walk.















No comments: