Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Half Way

I have heard writers say that they start writing and the writing takes them places they don't anticipate. That is how I feel about The Harridan. I am very pleased with it, but it is, in form, nothing like what I thought I was going to write.

For one thing, its a musical. I did not see that coming. And it has a cast of seven, but the idea is to work with students from the local university performing arts program. Four of the cast are chorus.

But the biggest surprise about this play are the characters: God, Arc Angel Gabriel, Arc Angel Ambriel, me and Shiva so far.  Again: I did not see that coming but its really exciting.  I can understand now why some writers say: "I'm just the medium; the words flow through me."

So far, in four scenes, there are three songs: Second Coming Tour, Mediocre (I am handing critics a knife with a title like that) and Harridan.

I expect I will finish this play by Sunday. Imagine that. But getting a solid first draft will allow Kim to reassess his interest in it based on an actual script. And if he likes it and wants to do it next season, we can say so in the program of this year's play. Audience building 101.

No comments: