Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Smoke Haze

It had to happen. The forest fire smoke has arrived. At times the sunlight could not penetrate it. Other times the sunlight came through the haze and delivered a beautiful golden orange light. It felt very Fall-like yesterday because of the smoke haze. 

Watching some gardening videos, I was chuffed to hear a master gardener say that watering in the morning during a hot, dry Summer is the right thing to do. He said it gives water to the plant to sustain the heat of the day, whereas evening watering can often lead to root rot and leaf mould. 

I watered everywhere in the early morning, and then Her Highness and I went walking. We came home and had lunch at 11:00, and then I got busy doing some garden chores before we went into the village to order a prescription refill and do some shopping.

When we finished shopping, Her Highness and I went walking at Rollo Park, and then we came home under a golden orange sun so that she could rest prior to having her dinner while I enjoyed a lovely long soak in the spa. 

I video called Beth and she and her friend Judy were at Kits Beach in Vancouver enjoying a stroll. They have thicker smoke over there, so it looked dark and cloudy. Although we, too, have smoky skies, we are getting sunshine through the light smoke.

After our call, I had a spa while Sheba napped until dinnertime. I thoroughly enjoyed our unchanged evening routine. I’m in great shape. I have no worries and I feel no pressure to do anything. I’m going to enjoy Beth’s visit, getting out together and going to restaurants for meals. And I’m looking forward to driving her to Courtenay and driving home on the slow coastal route instead of the highway. Plus, we’re meeting our beloved friend, Marsha, and we’re going to the White Spot. Yum! Burgers!

I was urged to rise this morning at 4:30 by the kids. It was very dark, but moonlight lit my way to the garden gate to let Sheba out for her morning walkabout. AT 6:00. I was drawn outside to look at the sky because it had become very dark, and the sky had become very densely overcast. It felt like a monster rainstorm was arriving, but the forecast is for a bright sunny day with temperatures reaching up to 30°!

It began getting lighter and the cloud was disbursing by 6:30., and by 7:00 there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. It’s like Springtime with the weather changing so dramatically and so quickly. I shall, of course, be watering this morning, and I am Zooming with John and Bunny at 9:30. Her Highness and I will walk alone this morning. We will not be joining our friends. And I shall bake a blueberry galette to share with Beth, a Greek salad for us to have with a Croque Monsieur, and béchamel sauce. 


A gorgeous teeny weeny wild flower. 

The most beautiful life in the forest.

Another wild flower exploding in a forest meadow.

One of my fuchsias has abundant gorgeous flowers.

One branch of one of my apple trees, I have shored up many branches
that are struggling to support their fruit.

The plumbs are ripening!

Coralroot orchid about to bloom.

Fairy slipper orchid, post bloom.

The Arbutus trees are all shedding their paper thin bark.

The Arbutus trees are magnificent! Theese ones are
stunning and their red bark is strikingly beautiful.

Bright yellow Dog Vomit Slime Mold.

No comments: