Sunday, October 27, 2013

Dacquoise Day Part One

Vingt petites dacquises dans le four

Another stunningly sunny day, and today is a free day with no PAL meetings, no marking (its all done) and no dates with friends. It's a perfect day to bake and try my first walk since my injury on September 18th.

Friend and kitchen mentor, Bunny, gave me a bunch of recipes for dacquiose because I had swooned over a pastry we once had together called "lemon dacquoise" that were gorgeous and delicious. But the recipe calls for a kind of pancake to be made and other recipes I found on line to the same, adding butter creams between layers and over the top to make dacquoise cakes. But I do not like hard meringue cakes; they are impossible to cut cleanly. Besides, what I enjoyed had been a single-serving pastry.

Dacquoise is not a form, it refers to either almond or hazelnut meringue that is credited as originating in the town of Dax, France. So I have decided to make individual pastries using one layer of hazelnut meringue on the bottom, then lemon butter cream between it and an almond meringue layer. I hope to then cover the whole thing in more lemon butter cream, sprinkle them with chopped hazelnuts and top each one off with a twist of sugared lemon rind.

No comments: