Thursday, July 24, 2014

Who's In Control?


What is your relationship with your mind?

I certainly am not master of mine. I can be though; for a short period of time, I can use it like a tool. But it seems to also have a certain independence. In the language classes of my youth, my "subconscious" mind (as it was called  by my teacher) would serve up correct answers to questions she would fire at me that would then, mili-seconds later, be "corrected" to an incorrect answer by my conscious mind. My teacher knew this would happen; My "subconscious mind was a better learner than my conscious mind," she would say.

Dreaming seems to be your mind operating independently.  And not being able to remember things on demand, is your mind "not working." Or so it seems, until later when it offers up the name you were searching for.

I never thought much about this before, but I have noticed over the past few months, that every day, I have millisecond "flashbacks." I experience milliseconds of a mixture of déja vu and simple memory. It seems to me that a certain smell, or certain light or a word said by someone nearby will suddenly have me deep in the memory of a place and time past and nearly always, the memory is of a place I thoroughly enjoyed.

I quite like these blips of memory that intrude on my day, but it is  happening more and more and so it makes me wonder what is ahead and if this is something normal or abnormal. I wonder if more and more of my time or sensory awareness will be in memory instead of the present.

No comments: