Sunday, June 9, 2024

A Good Party Exhausts Me

Saturday was hot. Even so, I was tempted to light a fire because it was so cool in the house. Instead, for the first time this year, I opened all the (screened) windows and doors and I turned on all the overhead fans. Then the house interior was a perfect temperature. These huge thick logs, many having a 16” diameter, keep this house warm in Winter and cool in Summer. 

Sheba is hurting. We had only a short walk, then we went to our weekly famers’ market. It is always a bit of a thrill to go and to see the many people I recognize. It’s the heart of our island, the market, I reckon. I go to buy dog treats from Darryl (and sometimes a donut or two). But it was hot!

When I got home, the laundry that I’d hung on the line was entirely dry. It took only half an hour to dry, so when I brought in all my clothes, I washed my favourite blanket that had dirty Sheba footprints embedded in it. It, too, dried very quickly. Then I (tried to) vacuum, tidied, dusted. The vacuum wouldn’t work, and the house desperately needed vacuuming, so I took the thing apart and, miraculously, I got it working. 

Dwight called me, and it was impossible to speak. I could only say one syllable at a time, so it took forever to say a sentence. He, bless him, never betrays the slightest concern. Every time I hang up after speaking with him, I realize how much I love him.

Then it was time to cook, and I chose to start with the corn dish that I Iove so much. I opened the package of frozen corn only to find that it was frozen mixed vegetables. Damn! So off to the store for corn and thank God my van has air conditioning. It was 26° and I was baking.

By 3:00, it was 29°, and I was cooking on a hot stove! Regardless, I had to go, go go, to get everything done, but I kept calm by thinking that I’d conscript François as my sous chef when the going was destined to become very busy just before eating. By 4:00, I was done my prep and had only the table to set. Plus, I was totally beat. A rest—a good restwas in order!

We might have eaten outside, but there were too many flying ants to make me want to haul all the outdoor furniture out of the studio. With all the doors and windows open, eating indoors is practically the same thing anyway, but there are screens to keep out the guests.

The party was great, but I forgot to serve the salad, the sauce for the chicken was a bit bitter for my taste, and the chicken was dry. However, they were all polite, and we had an enjoyable evening of conversation and laughter. Darryl is blind and I can hardly talk, so we were quite the group!

This morning has dawned bright and sunny, and it’s predicted to be as warm as yesterday. Sigh. But it’s Sunday, my day, so nothing at all matters. Nothing interferes with me celebrating my day of relaxation—relaxation after 2 hours of washing, drying and putting away all the dishes from last night.

Soon I will Zoom with my stuttering group, and then the day of R&R will get seriously underway. I’m considering driving to the south end to visit the food truck for lunch with Her Highness. She is still not keen on walking, so an hour of wandering slowly in the park looking at all the artisans goodies and seeing kids playing will do us both good.


Camus fills this meadow and it is gorgeous!

Camus up close. The colour!

A beautiful purple ground cover also in the meadow,

Wild roses.

Bright, gorgeous, golden Buttercups are everywhere.

Thimble Berry flowers add white to the Spring banquet of colour.

One of my favourite dishes for last night. Fried corn with lime juice, 
lots of jalapeño, lime zest and lots of Manchego cheese. Yum!

With the toppings on. It makes a nice presentation.

The cake François brought for our dessert!

No comments: