Friday, June 28, 2024

Back to the Garden

Thursday was a day of silence and stillness. Sheba went to the groomer, and I spoke with Sarah, otherwise I was silent all day. And I did things that I could do horizontally. I napped, I finished a book, and watched television in the evening. I’m glad I finished my book. I don’t have time to read much in the Summertime, so the gaps between reading sessions are too long. So, it’s time to read my friend Beth’s book of essays. That’s the right kind of thing to do, assuming good weather will finally come, and every day will be spent outdoors.

In the cool and damp evening, I did my usual walkabout. I bought seven new plants, so I chose where to put them all. All I need is one or two more, and I’ll be done, except for future replacements in the gardens, and the odd shrub or tree I might plant in the yard. But there’s no denying, my backyard is a really lovely calming place. There’s birdsong and the tinkling of the fountain for a soundtrack, there are garden and forest fragrances to please the nose and to ignite memories, and the freshness of the air makes one feel so very healthy.

My eye felt better all day yesterday. It felt better than it has in months. That last treatment seems to have had a very positive effect. I hope it lasts.

Tonight, I’m having dinner with a friend from my teen years. It’s going to be interesting because we haven’t had a conversation since the early 1960s.

I reckon that it’s a lot more difficult to actively feel happiness when you live a life like mine. A very routine lifestyle that I call ‘voluntary house arrest, with the odd day parole.’ But I do feel happy (when I’m not doing psychological strip mining). Going to the market is almost exciting for me. Will there be Chinese take-away? Will there be fresh Dill? Coriander? Should I have a donut?

It’s easier to feel happy, it seems, when you have distractions to keep your mind and soul occupied. Cities are full of distractions, television is a distraction, phones and social media keep billions of people mind numbingly entertained. But here, there is little to offer me distraction, partly because of where I am, and partly because my seizures prevent me from attending many local events. Regardless, I am thoroughly content.

Today is wet, wet, wet. It rained overnight and every surface is dripping. I’ll be indoors puttering, napping, and reading (maybe). Come Monday, the sunshine returns, so I will be outdoors all day and walking, and that is a great, great day. It’s these days indoors that pass more slowly. I am very conscious of the preciousness of the complete freedom to do as I desire, and only as I desire, that I enjoy. And smack right up against the forest. On an island. In the Salish Sea. I love that name.

Here are photos from my walkabout last night.

My hanging basket is all blues—Laburnum and Petunia. It's on the
deck because when it's hanging, it gets too much water when it s'raining
as hard as its been lately.

This is a succulent garden in a pot. I have it on the deck.

Some of my new plants.

More of my new plants.

This garden thrills me. I created it this year and its become so
richly green and lush very quickly. The Ocean Spray in the 
background is bout to bloom.

This magnificent bush will soon be a source of fragrance that
will fill my yard with a Jasmine scent. Hooray!

The Roses are blooming, the Hydrangea is about to bloom. THis
garden is full and vibrant.

The Irish Moss I planted around the pavers that
I put down to create a path to the forest is filling
in brilliantly.

This is how I love my beds. Hardly any soil is visible.

This is Campion, a beautiful wild flower with a disco past.

The Campion front the Gate Garden, so called because the gate
in the upper left of the photo. opens onto the forest.

The Gate Garden.

I love having colour around the tree bases.

This garden is filling out nicely.

The base of another tree.

This is the garden where most of the new plants will go.

This Dianthus is spectacularly fragrant.

No comments: